Author Topic: car boot sale  (Read 121168 times)

Offline Pete.

Re: car boot sale
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Pete,

nice finds.

What intrigues me is that the label on the protractor says 'depth guage'.

Dave.

Yeah, it's a paper label stuck on top of the packaging. I think it must have been added by the shop.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »
Dave, they can be used as a depth gauge - I have the same model. Loosen the knurled knob, and the rotating rule slides in and out and is calibrated for depth.

So you can measure the depth and angle of a hole in one fell swoop !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DavidA

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2015, 02:00:15 PM »
Andrew,

Interesting.

I thought the arm just pivoted around the screw.

Useful tool.

Dave.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2015, 05:16:33 PM »
hi all well I did a bit boot sale scrounging on Sunday and got a box a large soft faced hammer two files all for £5 in the box 4 large hinges sum sockets sum alien keys sum taps and so on o and a bag of cutting nozzles witch I have no idea watt they wood be used for and a bag of  tungsten rods with bothe ends sharpened to a point and the box is a old later box IE watt you once kept your paper and envelopes and ink and pens as on sorting the box out right pics               

Offline micktoon

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
Hi Bob , not a bad little haul there  :thumbup: Looks like a bit of everything, the box is better quality than the average wood box these days too.
 I went to a boot sale today but there was zero there of interest :palm:   Cheers Mick

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2015, 06:22:32 PM »
Canny Bob
I went to a boot sale on Sunday even the coffie was crap

Offline krv3000

« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2015, 07:12:27 PM »
lol at crap coffee

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2015, 07:46:17 PM »

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2015, 04:51:29 AM »
There was alot of interesting junk this Sunday. Saw alot of analog electronic test gear and radios.

Got some tensometer stuff. Some chucks and an elongation & reduction in area gauge. There's also a few used samples of various materials and i'd guess it was used in education. It's probably useless without the rest of the kit, which is a shame because it seems like something that'd be handy for people making weird alloys. If anyone has a use for it they're welcome to have it.

Also got a Hilti nail gun. Bit of an odd arrangement and I can't find any instruction manuals online. The instructions on the inside of the tin are fairly worn but I can just make them out. Seems you hit the thing with a 2lb hammer and that sets the blank charge off.

Also got a photo enlarger because I mistook it for something else. Smells pretty foisty so I'm not sure if i'll keep it. Can't imagine anyone would want it either.

Oh and a spokeshave, which is just what I was looking for. I think I spent about £12 in total.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2015, 05:03:55 AM »
Steve,

The instructions on the Hilti gun say "Keep your fingers away from the bangy end".

The chippie who helped build our cottage extension forgot to read that bit and nailed his index finger to some framing. He's a man of a religious turn of mind but you wouldn't have known it.

Eug

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2015, 05:10:24 AM »
I gotta say I was careful handling the thing before I knew how it worked. Could've been left loaded!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2015, 05:19:36 AM »
I have a trigger operated version with cartridges of varying charges. Was most useful fixing timber to the steel work when I made my workshop - yes it will fire a hardened pin into 3/8 steel  :bugeye: And if you use the wrong cartridge the pin will go right through  :bugeye: :bugeye:

Doesn't half give your wrist a jolt when using at arms length up a ladder.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2015, 05:39:52 AM »
My brother in law took the top off his knuckle when he was a lad, firing those brass nail gun cartridges with a club hammer.

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2015, 09:23:41 AM »
Hi All,
Steve, I thought those old versions of hilti guns were no longer allowed in construction ??
Probably with very good reason??
http://www.nail-gun-accidents.com/pages/nail_gun_lawsuits.html

Where I worked we had to have training from Hilti on the use of the model we had
We were then issued with a permit to use them lasting 2 years if I remember correctly

As Andrew said, they give a fair old kickback :bugeye:
We were not allowed to use them working from a ladder, fairly obvoius really

Remember that you cannot grow new digits/ eyes and other body parts :( :( :(

Johns 2 cents worth ( +35 years experience in Powergen)

Offline chipenter

« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2015, 10:01:43 AM »
Ive still got some cartriges for a hilti , 2 lb hammer is the minimum heaver is better , to light a hammer sends the hammer flying back a the nail goes noware .
Jeff

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »
I remember at Tanfield a guy had a story about a technician at his old workplace hiring a powder nailgun to put some coat hooks up on a breezeblock wall, selecting the most powerful charge, and having it fire through into a corridor and kill a woman on the other side. I thought it sounded like a bit of a silly story but there's a similar one on that website.

This nailgun has a captive piston at least, but it is an awkward lump to hold. I got a bit of a fright testing it on some 5mm mild steel plate, using the weakest charge in the box. The nail not only went through the plate but also put a considerable dent into it.

It's not a tool I see myself using often, but there's been a few times in the past where i've wished I had one.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2015, 11:18:58 AM »
I was 'testing' mine when I got it years back, by fixing a 4x2 batten to a breezeblock wall. The pin went right through the wall, across 4 foot of space, penetrated the steel enclosure of my Moog Hydrapoint 1000 nc machine, and destroyed a power supply - after that I treated it with the greatest respect  :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

lordedmond

« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2015, 11:37:47 AM »
Yes used one of those hilt guns at the iron works got a flattened finger from one , not the way you think but the bit you belt with a hammer can recoil trapping your finger between it and the hammer shaft those i think took a .22 blank or it could be .25 in varying power levels black was the strongest with white the weakest , we did also have a .38 pistol type but it usually fell to bits when you used it , the best blank firing tool was the .38 cable spike clamp it round the underground steel wire armoured cable to prove dead put in the blank tie a long piece of string on and pull , ok unless you had a know all engineer who insisted he knew which cable it was and disregarded the beeper , well after we used it and half the works shut down , we could not find him for some hours  :Doh:

good tools used in the correct space but can be lethal

Stuart

Offline appletree

« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
Hi All,
Steve, I thought those old versions of hilti guns were no longer allowed in construction ??
Probably with very good reason??
http://www.nail-gun-accidents.com/pages/nail_gun_lawsuits.html

Where I worked we had to have training from Hilti on the use of the model we had
We were then issued with a permit to use them lasting 2 years if I remember correctly

As Andrew said, they give a fair old kickback :bugeye:
We were not allowed to use them working from a ladder, fairly obvoius really

Thats a bit of an untruth, not 35 yrs in Powergen what about the good old CEGB with all its faults??

Remember that you cannot grow new digits/ eyes and other body parts :( :( :(

Johns 2 cents worth ( +35 years experience in Powergen)

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2015, 02:49:46 PM »
Hi,
Thats a bit of an untruth, not 35 yrs in Powergen what about the good old CEGB with all its faults??

The "powergen" reffered to was/is the one here in Ireland,
no point talking ESB to non Irish people
Hope this clears up any misunderstanding??

Regards
John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2015, 05:50:46 PM »
hi not much at the booty for me to day got a box of 7 dormer 7.6 drills £2 a extra long 6mm drill 50p and a box full of crap for £5 well if this lot is crap then sum one doesn't no watt there selling  right pics

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
Very nice Bob
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2015, 06:43:46 PM »
Hi Lads , maneged to get to the boot sale today with John , we both got some bits and Bobs but no where near the haul that Bob seems to have found , I think he should change his name to DTI Bob  :thumbup: , What are the two in the last photo Bob they do not look the normal run of the mill DTI's ?. Looks like you are going to be a busy lad Bob , as you will be wanting them all like new no doubt !!
  Here is what I got today

A 4 way 110v socket lead, two Toga drill stands , one number drills and one imperial sizes, A big old soldering iron 110v, a nice unused cold chisel, a set of CK secateures, a selection of small files mostly round, and the larger of the two saws, I think it might be handmade but a nice job if it is, its got wood or plstic cutting blade ( the normal small hacksaw is there to show the size of the new one ) The whole lot came to £10 so not bad at all.

Cheers Mick
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:42:19 PM by micktoon »

Offline Pete.

« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »
Is that a Solon soldering iron? Looks like the on eI have and mine's 110v too. That one looks un-used. £1.50 is a bargain either way.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2015, 07:22:36 PM »
er the last two you meen the blue ones there for shaft metering ie big ends that sort of thing