Author Topic: car boot sale  (Read 123186 times)

Offline micktoon

Re: car boot sale
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Hi Pete, you must know your soldering irons  :clap: , yes its a Solon iron, proper old 'made in England' quiality 65W 110 Volts, its never been used or even had a plug fitted by the looks of things as you say £1.50 is a bargain  :drool:
  Hi Bob , I thought they were special, you should start a DTI museum lol
  Cheers Mick

Offline Pete.

« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2015, 04:33:02 AM »
Just a couple of bits today, but very pleased with them. I got a rack of long metric sockets for £4 and a nice profile gauge for £2. The gauge is something I really need I could have used it half a dozen times in the past month.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2015, 06:10:49 AM »

Hi Pete
                      The profile gauge is is a great item, and has got me out of many problems. It has  saved me so much time in the past and really accurate.

Cheers David

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »
None of the car boot sales I've ever been to ever have anything like this... Lots of knackered radios, home furnishings and dodgy underwear - never any decent tools.

I'm very jealous - although I do hate getting up at dark o'clock on a Sunday morning to go ferret out the good stuff.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2015, 07:22:47 PM »
Ok I didn't go to a car boot sale but these did come out of a car boot and dropped on my desk  :D where son works has combined with another merchant parent company and they were tossing these out.

Extra long drill bits 5/8 down to 2.5mm all HSS 3 small taps 3mm, 3/16, 1/8", counter sink bit, tape measure 5m x3 (gave the wife one), centre drill bit, some stubby drill bits. torx bits.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2015, 10:13:24 PM »
Nice one!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »
I used to use those drivers boatbuilding in the 70's driving in silicon bronze slotted flathead screws. We'd also use a bit brace with a flat blade for that into oak frames with larger screws. There's a smaller version that takes straight grooved drill bits. Another nice old tool to have, now practically extinct is a nail puller. Also an eggbeater drill. Hand tools that were actually hand operated.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »
hi all well I got quite a lot at the boot sale on Sunday but I will have to tack sum more pics of sum of the items I got as most of the pics came out fuzzy but her is the list two rawhide hammers one small and one medium both a £1 etch a tube of tungsten electrodes different sizes £1 a B.O.C  gas bottle key a hydrometer for testing antifreeze £1 a selection of lathe tools need to retake the pic of them £2 a eclipse tap handle and a eclipse scribe £2 and a box of rods £1 the rods is a 2 to 8 inch bore gage   and a gas lantern with sper gas £2      right pics   

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2015, 08:17:37 PM »
New to me toy 6" works fine just need to locate a manual for it for reference if need be.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2015, 05:26:07 PM »
hi all this is watt I got at the week end at the boot sale first up a starrett depth gage all their £5 a s and k D.T.I £1 a moor and right dog leg calliper as new £1 4 extra long 8mm drills £2 and a  optical centre punch £1 right pics

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
You've had a right result there Bob.Yer gonna need a bigger workshop if this continues  :)....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline krv3000

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
I and as bin at it a gane today I got a moor and right tap handle £2 two hacksaw blades £1 a key chine multy  tool £1 two rivet snaps £1.50 two 6 inch files £1 and a tipped milling cuter £2  and a hand vice £2 right pics 

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2015, 05:37:30 AM »
Haven't been to a boot sale in a while, but was glad I went today.

Got the micrometers from one stall which was packed with stuff. Kind of wish I bought more stuff from it.

I got that orange gauge mostly because I was curious about what it was, and the guy selling it didn't know either. Turns out it's for measuring coating thicknesses on steel. It works, I think, by putting more tension on a magnet in the tip until its able to pull away, then you read what the drum is pointing to. Might be useful.

Also got the two slot milling cutters which I don't really need. They look like they've been resharpened but not brilliantly, but I could send them out to anyone who thinks they might be useful.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »
Steve,
The two milling cutters are slit saw blades.....I'd guess at about 1/8 in thick with a 1" bore... :scratch:

Easily re sharpened with a tool and cutter grinder on a blade arbor.....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Eugene

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Steve,

It is indeed a thickness gauge: given the range it's probably for paint.

Other models were made for measuring the thickness of various plated coatings. They are OK for a general indication, but a skilled operator can make them read just about any thickness he likes :)

Eug

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
Yes I have its twin.Back the dial off until the magnetic ball pops off and read your paint thickness.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline krv3000

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2015, 06:28:50 PM »
I have bin shopping to I got two moor and right engineers clamps a moor and right tap handle and a large file all for £3 a eclipse punch 50p and a Kennedy D.T.I gage for £2 sum sanding pads £1 a tin of valve grinding past 50p two sticks of chork   picks  o and 10 6.4 drill bits   

Offline krv3000

« Reply #142 on: October 04, 2015, 05:35:45 PM »
well not much at the boot sale today for me but I got two spark guns and 12 hacksaw blades for £3 a tap handle for  50p and 6 burs for £2 and a drill chuck for £2 put two pics in of the old tin I keep my hacksaw blades in   pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2015, 04:50:12 PM »
hi all well bin shopping once more I got 4 riper cutters for £2 and a large dye handle for 50p    the size of the cutters is one 6mm two 10mm and one 12mm pics

Offline Pete.

« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »
Nice one. I went to a large boot fair today but all I got was muddy shoes. Wasn't a single piece of engineering stuff that I could find.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
well that's haw it goes sum times I cum back with nothing their was lodes their this week but as not greedy I cud of go ten all  the cutters but left them for sum one ho needs them   

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2015, 06:58:13 PM »
Nice find!  Here I have to check out the pawn / second hand consignment places I picked up a table style metal bandsaw for $185.00 for the basement the 7 x 12 is in the garage winter's coming!

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2015, 02:14:05 PM »
Hi all

Some great 'Prizes' posted, John- We use those massive squares at work, Our Markout dept use them for levelling large castings on machine beds for marking out for machining etc  :thumbup:

I've been 'Booting' for around 25/30 years and brought many a bargain home!!

This planer was a tenner! I bought it from a very old gent and really thought it wasn't going to work but it's fantastic!!

This mitre saw was a fiver, It also works great but has had a repair to the handle, I have a spare handle/motor etc that I bought a few years before for £3!!

I've actually got three powerfiles in total, All from the bootsales, Can't remember what I paid but they would have been cheap!!

This was £25 but it's 550w and 8" wheels, It also has a light in each guard!!

Tig inverter, Can't remember for sure what I paid but £25 is in my mind!

All this lot but at different times!!

These reactive screens are much much better than the old dark glass ones!!

The above is a fraction of what i've bought in total, I collect tools, Watches, Airguns, Guitars and all sorts of other stuff, I've found all sorts but a dodgy knee scuppered my visits last year a bit as I was off work for eleven months!!

Cheers, John  :wave:

Offline johnbaz

• My Flickr
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
A few more tools from the bootsales..

Each pack has four Alkaline AA batteries per side and was 10p per pack! 96 batteries for £1.20!!  :clap:

£10 for the strimmer and £15 for the hedge trimmer attachment! The strimmer wouldn't start until I replaced the plug!

Can't remember what I paid but it wouldn't have been much (Think it was a fiver) but the handle has to be shared as one is missing!!

I have another that looks like it's not been used, That was more expensive at a tenner!!

Err, Things with lenses are another of my passions!! 

John  :beer:

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #149 on: February 28, 2016, 11:51:54 PM »
I have tried to find Car Boot Sale 2016  :Doh: nope don't see one Mods if there is one please move this.

2 weeks ago I got to go to a shed clear out the fellow is moving to Tassie his words were take it its FREE so I grabbed a Sher workshop set up for parts much is missing but the castings are all good and saw table attached.

Then Saturday a local Mens Shed was having a garage/driveway sale we had been given heads up to. Scored well here. Gents saw, round files, steel 6" rule, Bi-fold wood rule, Skartsen scraper(no blade), Stanley 220 block plane (no blade), lamp, 2 mitre saws FREE, best bargain was the Ross framing gun brand new had small damage son is over the moon $20.
Total spent $26 including the nail gun

Sunday at a major Sydney tool sale scored 3 new books (see book section http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11338.0.html), blade for block plane bought Saturday, dial indicator & brass scales for LOML.
Total spent $36