Author Topic: car boot sale  (Read 121183 times)

Offline krv3000

Re: car boot sale
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2015, 03:12:26 PM »
hi im in Durham and the one I go to is at  segfeeld

Offline micktoon

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
Hi Bob , a quality day indeed, looks like you could use the surface plate as a mirror lol all good gear and in good condition too You jammy Ba****d lol

Cheers Mick

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
Not much in the CB market around .dubland but my scrap yard forays are getting interesting:

Grade 304:
3Metres of 40 x 10 mm Cold drawn
and
3Metres of 25 x 25 x 4 mm angle

20€ (at current rates £15)

Thats not to mention some free stuff from another yard!

Like a 6" 316 pipe flange!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »
I picked up a couple of old fire extinguishers when it started to rain on Sunday. Guy was yelling everything 50p on a megaphone since he wanted to get going.  One had all the pressure gone (was a sort with a plunger to break a seal, they both looked like they came from a school so I guess some kid had hit the plunger).

For some reason I can't resist fire extinguishers when they're going cheap. I've already got too many. What I really need to find is a decent carbon dioxide one though. All last year I kept seeing the same empty one at boot sales and even the Consett market. Disappointed me every time. The guy must've really wanted to sell it.

I guess i'll have to make some little stoves with all the empty ones i'm collecting. Or maybe I could find a few real old ones on ebay and start a museum.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »
Wow, old thread but seems to have had some life to it.  You don't find anything that nice at yard/garage/lawn sales here.

Though I recently purchased two new pair of boots, so no need for me to go to a boot sale. ;)

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
Hi
Bob
David mentioned you had "found" some good gear  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2015, 12:30:27 AM »
Time I got all the Geordie relos out and about shopping at these CBS for me and scuttle you lot. Pity the postal charges will kill me, although cousins heading down under soon maybe he can scourer the Petersbourgh region.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2015, 05:12:47 AM »
Been looking for tools at boot sales for about 3 or 4 years now, and the two things i've always hoped i'd find were micrometers and dial indicators.

Finally found a couple of micrometers, in metric and all. Almost missed them since they were in plastic bags. Spotted them when heading back out for the bus, the guy had a box of these metal spiral things that I had to ask what they were and I saw them when waiting to ask. The big one has no markings at all and probably isn't that good. Also got the midi keyboard since I was thinking about buying one a few years back. Apparently a bunch of the keys don't work but they probably just need the contacts cleaned.

Still forgot to ask the guy what those spirals were.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2015, 02:27:31 AM »
Been looking for tools at boot sales for about 3 or 4 years now, and the two things i've always hoped i'd find were micrometers and dial indicators.

Finally found a couple of micrometers, in metric and all. Almost missed them since they were in plastic bags. Spotted them when heading back out for the bus, the guy had a box of these metal spiral things that I had to ask what they were and I saw them when waiting to ask. The big one has no markings at all and probably isn't that good. Also got the midi keyboard since I was thinking about buying one a few years back. Apparently a bunch of the keys don't work but they probably just need the contacts cleaned.

Still forgot to ask the guy what those spirals were.

Nice score.

Spiral things?? Maybe reamers? Twist drills? Auger Bits? Or remnants of the kids toy spinning tops  :lol:

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2015, 04:46:54 AM »
I did a bit of searching, assuming they were some sort of anchor, and finally found them. Looks like they're mostly used for quickly attaching things to masonry.

http://www.boltsnutsandtools.com/helical-facade-helipins-c-311_312_527/

Probably would've found them right away if I'd remembered the word 'helical' instead of searching for twists and spirals.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »
Hi Simon, I've had a skeet at the heli pins in your link and I have used them to repair cracks in masonry walls in the past.

They are used with a chemical resin to bond them into slots which one has to cut across the crack with a diamond disc on an angle grinder. Clean the slot out,apply resin and then bed the heli pin into the goo,fill crack out to level with more resin or cement and the job is a goodun'.

They provide a simple but very effective method of stabilising masonry defects and the end result looks very much like stapling or stitching.....The mics look a good find,quite tidy and not knocked about too much  :thumbup: ...... OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline krv3000

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2015, 04:45:04 PM »
hi all well all I got this week end was sum files a brass brush and a bag of wire wool all for £1 and three tins of gas for £1

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2015, 05:22:06 AM »

Got this multimeter for a pound, guy implied it wasn't working but hopefully it'll be an easy fix.

Also got a pair of air fed respirators for a bit more than i'd usually ever pay at a boot sale, but I didn't get much at Harrogate yesterday and had the money on me. I'm wanting to do a bit of sand blasting in the future and maybe something like this will come in handy for that. One interesting thing is that the inside of the respirators is a diaphragm that I assume is so people can hear what you're saying inside the mask.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2015, 05:08:21 PM »
Nice respirators make sure you use a oilless compressor to keep the oil out of your lungs!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2015, 06:59:18 PM »
Nice respirators make sure you use a oilless compressor to keep the oil out of your lungs!

I did a bit of searching and apparently that filter is for getting the oil out of the air. They're amazingly expensive, but unfortunately replacement filters for them are too.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
hi all went shopping today at the boot sale and got sum nice stuff a hammer a file a tube of silicon grease a set of moor and wright marking out callipers and a 0 to 4" moor and wright micrometre right picks     

Offline steampunkpete

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2015, 02:10:28 AM »
That micrometer is a tasty find!

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2015, 04:22:51 AM »
Nice Hall Bob
I have the very same mike
John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2015, 05:47:22 PM »
yep got it for mick

Offline micktoon

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »
Bob, you are sure to go to Heaven  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: , Cheers mate , I have got a couple of Emco bits for you from Dave as spares if they fit your lathe.
  Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2015, 06:39:52 PM »
yep they will cum in handy did he have a switch

Offline Pete.

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2015, 06:55:33 AM »
Had a good haul at Pedham Place in Kent today.

I got the first little lot for £2. The snips have been rusty but the tips are in very nice condition which is what I need for a job I'm doing. The Moore & Wright dividers are huge but have a broken tip so I'll have to re-grind them to be matching. The rusty adjustable is for work.

The Moore & Wright protractor was £4 (price on the back was £38.95

The diamond sharpener I got for a pound and the two packs of paint brushes a pound each. I buy cheap brushes then cut the bristles back  to about 15-20mm long with scissors and use them for scrubbing small parts with degreaser then throw them away (the brushes, not the parts).

Offline Pete.

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2015, 06:57:21 AM »
Here's my prize find for today, a 0.005" Mitutoyo DTI in the box in really nice working order for £8. Didn't even haggle that just handed over the cash.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »

Hi Pete,

You got yourself some really great items there, well done

Cheers David

Offline DavidA

« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2015, 07:12:18 AM »
Pete,

nice finds.

What intrigues me is that the label on the protractor says 'depth guage'.

Dave.