Author Topic: RJH Ferret Grinder  (Read 7937 times)

Offline evildrome

RJH Ferret Grinder
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:47 AM »
Hi All,

I've got one of these

http://www.cottandco.com/media/lot/dc0f1e6dd3af5f14e6f85a80f36b8f04972f16f5.jpg

Not this actual one but almost identical. Are you supposed to run them with the reservoir full of water?

Cheers,

Wilson.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: RJH Ferret Grinder
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:12:40 AM »
It's for keeping the tool you are grinding, cool. Frequent dipping is the order of the day. Too little is counter productive.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »
I used one- but it had a diamond impregnated wheel- and there was oil lubrication.

Regards

Norman

Never found any ferrets in it- but I am rabbiting on :lol:

Offline evildrome

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:55:20 AM »
Hi Norman,

Mine has a diamond impregnated wheel. When you say 'oil lubrication' do you mean like suds on a lathe? Continually fed with recovery from the reservoir?

Thanks,

Wilson.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:44:57 AM »
It's a long, long time ago but there were two brass pipes with taps simply dripping oil onto the face of the diamond facing.

There were, if my memory holds out, tool guides and there was a table capable of being tilted to hold tools. At that point there was no such thing as inserted carbides and so on.
Date? Perhaps 25 years ago and the venue at Gateshead Technical College. I sort of 'did' Model Engineering in an evening and a City and Guilds in Motor Vehicle Restoration as a day time manure student after retirement from the real world.

Really, the tool is not much better than a basic homemade Kennet- which I made up from part machine castings and is in the second division compared to Quorns, Stents and Clarksons which all have versatility. My opinion of course.

Cheers

Norman

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:54:21 AM »
My first thought was, "Why would you want to grind a ferret?"    :Doh: Then I read on. Oh it's a brand name.   :lol: 
Happy Grinding,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline mechman48

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »
Norman

I sort of 'did' Model Engineering in an evening and a City and Guilds in Motor Vehicle Restoration as a day time manure   :bugeye: student after retirement from the real world.

Really! what were you studying? methane gas properties.. :lol:

Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
No, merely a retired old fart :lol:

Cheers

Norman

Offline redhunter350

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 12:51:07 PM »
Hello Wilson,
Used a similar machine regularly when in mainstream engineering some 40 years ago and yes they are filled with water, you can add suds if you wish but water is fine and won't "go off" as suds will over time.
Knowledge withheld is knowledge lost

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
Saw a "regular" grinder once that had a little lever actuated reservoir on the under side of the wheel. The wheel was dipped in the water when running to cool the work and when stopped, it was lowered to prevent soaking.