Author Topic: A shop inside my barn  (Read 13205 times)

Offline jmhoying

A shop inside my barn
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
  I built a 30'x40' storage barn about 10 years ago, long before I even thought about owning metalworking machinery.  The barn is mostly used for lumber storage for my cabinet shop, and for toy storage (camper and sailboat).  I've sold the sailboat a few years ago, with no intentions of getting another.  In the last few years, metalworking tools have been finding their way into the barn.  Now that I've seen how quickly humidity and temperature changes can make rust blossom on equipment, I decided it was time to keep them in a more climate controlled room.  I can't afford to heat the whole barn, so I'm going to build a 12' x 24' x 8'6" high shop inside the barn.  This will leave room for my camper, my lumber and a utility trailer in the unheated part of the barn.    Here is a "before" photo of most of the barn.  The camper is buried for the Winter, but will only be blocked by a utility trailer in the Summer months.
  I have all the studs pre-cut to size, so I just have to cut some boards to match the floor contours for under the walls and then I'll be throwing up some wood.  I'll post some photos along the way.
Jack

Offline rockknocker

Re: A shop inside my barn
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:40:23 PM »
Good luck on your build! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I'm several months into my own shop build (which was only supposed to take a few weeks). Hopefully you're able to get yours done quickly!
Anything is possible when you forget what's impossible.

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »
Even though the temps were just below freezing today, it seemed like a heat wave compared to what we've had.  I worked in the barn today and have my walls built.  Here are a few photos from today.

Now I have to put up the ceiling joist and start on wiring.

Jack

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »
That's a nice start Jack. How do you plan on heating it?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:06:47 PM »
That's a nice start Jack. How do you plan on heating it?

Eric

At this time, I'm just going to use some electric baseboard heaters that I already have.  I don't plan on keeping it much above 40 degrees in the coldest part of winter. 

Jack

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:04:06 PM »
I spent two more evenings working on the shop.  Ceiling joist are up and framing will be finished in another evening.  Hopefully I'll be able to wire it on Saturday and then start with covering the ceiling and walls.  Once I have more of the materials out of the main barn area used up, I'll roll most of the tools and tool boxes out of the new shop until I have it painted.  The mill and lathe will stay in place.

Jack

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 10:53:41 PM »
Spent the day working on the shop.  Started the day nailing on all the outlet and ceiling boxes, then running 250' of 12/2 wire, and 50' or 10/3 wire to the appropriate places.  Then I put up the drywall ceiling and ceiling light fixtures.   Going to sleep good tonight.

Jack

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »
Wow Jack,

You are are making progress quite quickly. Is that going to be enough light?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline superc

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »
Would it not be helpful to put insulation sandwiched behind a second plywood wall mounted on a 1x4 turned sideways?

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »
Wow Jack,

You are are making progress quite quickly. Is that going to be enough light?

Eric

I have the 8 lights in the ceiling and can vary how large of bulb that I put in them.  The ceiling and walls will be painted white, which will make a huge difference compared to dark or unpainted shops.  Also, I have florescent fixtures that I'll be mounting above the mill and lathe, but will be on a separate switch.   I also have LED floodlights to put on the mill and lathe.  If anything, I think sunglasses may be part of my shop uniform.

Jack

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »
Would it not be helpful to put insulation sandwiched behind a second plywood wall mounted on a 1x4 turned sideways?
More is always better, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Jack

Online SwarfnStuff

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:55:07 PM »
One can never have too much light, particularly as the eyes get older. So what if you need sunnies and sunscreen?  :lol: So long as you can see what you are doing, (OR, about to trip over.)  :)
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »
I'm getting a little closer to finishing my shop.  Hopefully I'll get the ceiling and walls painted this weekend.   I taped out the drywall Sunday, and applied a coat of joint compound the last two evenings.  I should get it sanded this evening and will probably have a few spots to touch up.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is a shop, and not my living room, so a few defects will be OK.

Jack

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
Thats looking good!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 05:27:46 PM »
Hi Jack you seem to be flying along with the shop, I think you might be right about the sunglasses but too light is better than too dark in my book  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:58 AM »
Hi there, Jack,
I've been following this thread with interest even though all that space you have is so enviable!   :drool:   :drool:   :drool: 

Just one thing, though.  In your photos I see a lot of wood but no fire extinguisher.

You've lined your machine tool sub-space with plasterboard (aka 'drywall') and that has significant fire delaying properties but that isn't the whole story.  A splendid shop like yours deserves adequate fire protection.

I hope you soon complete the building phase and get on to the enjoying phase.   :D   :D   :D   
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 09:39:07 PM »
I now have the ceiling and walls painted, as well as the ceiling lights and wall electric outlets installed.   I now have to move some materials around and finish wall on the left side.  Then I can bring the rest of my machines back in.  The door in the back of the shop leads to an area in the back of the barn where I plan on storing materials.

Jack
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:42:29 AM by jmhoying »

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 12:27:12 PM »
Really nice room for a shop  :beer:
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline jmhoying

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
Thanks Keld.  We've talked on YouTube a few times (mainly about our travel to Denmark a few years ago)
Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Thanks Keld.  We've talked on YouTube a few times (mainly about our travel to Denmark a few years ago)
Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Oh, hi Again !
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline stig

• EXUP1000
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
You've made a great job of the shop. Did you consider a vapour barrier behind the drywall?
Getting new-used tools to use to make tools to mend tools that you got to mend other ones surely counts as fair game

Offline austin3538

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 12:13:51 AM »
That is a nice setup
Using Tapatalk