Author Topic: 22lr Nice build  (Read 11763 times)

Offline ieezitin

22lr Nice build
« on: February 23, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
Hi Guys..

Through my wanderings on the net i came across this build, i like his work, i found the spring making, small mill work and anodizing very interesting. This guy has made a superb piece. 

http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=b586b10de8ca4cce94f37eb14b7e38a4;act=ST;f=3;t=28562;st=0

Anthony..
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: 22lr Nice build
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
Cool build. Lots of info in there

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline superc

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
Ooof.  How to spend a year.   LoL   Very nice job, but I will try to avoid projects that intense.  I think fabricating the occasional replacement bolt or pin (if I can't find them pre-made at Numrich or Brownell is about as far as I want to go in that direction.  He is quite right about the interplay of breech, magazine lips, feed ramp angles, slide mass, striker position and a half dozen other variables all being very critical in a reliable semi (or full) auto firearm.  Giving him lots of credit as the .22 rim fire is considered one of the most difficult to get that balance just right on.  It becomes much easier to get that balance right with FMJ straight rim cases like .380, 9mm, 40S&W, etc.  BTW, I love my Ruger Mk I standard and never saw a need for something to replace it as a rabbit/groundhog pistol.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:47:42 PM »
Superc......

I agree on the 22 rim-fire that's another reason why i found it interesting.....  I think the Ruger 10/22 bolt assembly is flawless....it fires everything i shove through it without fouling... imho the best on the market for 22 rim fire plus the revolving clip....   :whip:

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline superc

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 08:14:16 PM »
My first rifle was an early Rem Nylon 66.  It shoots any 22 LR or Long I put in it, as fast just as the trigger can be pulled.  Possibly one of the most reliable guns I have ever owned or shot (and the number is large).  Durn tube magazine was it's only flaw.  Fifty something years later I still have it and it still works like new.  I gave a lot of thought to the Ruger 10/22 when that became available.  Sadly larger calibers and bigger animals soon entered my life and I never did pick up one of the Ruger 10/22s.  I do agree with you, they are phenomenal 22s.  Were I a young adolescent again and if I had to choose between my beloved Nylon 66 and the Ruger 10/22 I very well may go for the Ruger.  Of course Remington no longer makes the Nylon 66 so I guess that choice would be easy.     :beer:

Offline Jonny

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »
I can understand making and improving rather than buying and modding but is it worth it when they were only £220 brand new, £150 mint stainless/synthetic s/h.

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:50:45 PM »
Love .22lr.  Have a Browning Buckmark that is a blast to shoot.  Was very impressed with this build.  So anybody else having problems finding .22lr rounds? 
Using Tapatalk

Offline superc

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »
Rick are you saying Walmart is out of .22 where you are? 

If so try http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CategoryListing.aspx?catid=81&PN=rma

I still have several 1,000 round bricks I bought several decades ago.  My problem is I only shoot when I have reason to do so and that's only maybe 10 times a year in all calibers combined.  The result is I am still working on ancient boxes of CCI Stingers in .22 LR and Super Vel .45 acp and a half can of WRA 45 hardball.  I did finish up most of the LC 55 30-06 ammo though and should start unboxing the Norma rounds by this time next year.   :)

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
When I first got the gun I put four bricks through it.  250 rounds every time I shot.  I don't know if Walmart sells them or not.  Don't really shop there, but every other store, Dunham's, Dick's, my gun club, all out. 
Using Tapatalk