Author Topic: A crowded little basement corner  (Read 6960 times)

Offline superc

A crowded little basement corner
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:33:15 AM »
I try to keep it all in one little corner I carved out in my otherwise completely full basement.  A few weeks ago I hauled the vertical horizontal 4x6 saw out of the barn where it had been doing wood duty for the past decade.  Swapped the wood blade out for a 14tpi metal blade at 80 RPM and crammed it into the work area.  Suffice to say it is getting cozy bit still comfortable in this corner.  The basement is the coolest part of the house.  At this time of the year, you can't see it, but about 15 feet back is a 55,000 BTU kerosene fueled heater.  Ten minutes of that and the basement milling area is T-shirt comfortable.  I added a 2 bar light fluorescent directly over the mill and lathe so there is plenty of light.  The vacuum cleaner is for clean up.

Offline Meldonmech

Re: A crowded little basement corner
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:49 AM »

Hi

You have a real cosy set up there,  see both you machines are mounted on computer tables, and as you said previously you are getting machine vibrations when subjecting them to heavy cutting forces. A couple of home made wooden benches using 3x2 section timber and 2inch top, with the machines firmly bolted down, would solve the problem. To ensure you get the best results in terms of accuracy and finish from your machines a heavy rigid base is essential.

Good luck 
                                                                                                   Cheers  David

Offline superc

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:28 PM »
I would never dignify those little garbage tables sold by MicroMark as being computer tables.  Flower stand, maybe even TV stand, but no not a good computer stand for anything bigger than a lap top.

I have got 3 of the heavy duty workbenches elsewhere in that basement.  One is dominated by ammunition re-loading presses and the ilk.  One is dedicated to household repair issues.  The third one is in the garage and more or less dominated by a table chop saw, a monster vise and a large grinder and buffing setup. 

I have not hit any vibration issues on the lathe yet.  Acknowledged that thus far the lathe use has been plastics and brass or aluminum.  It is possible that may change when I encounter something that needs lathing but in steel. 

It is indeed in my plans to acquire a better stand for the mill.  I have one very nice Craftsman rolling table drawer that I currently use for tool, arbor and bit holding and if I get a second one I will move the Mill to it, and use the flower pot stand sold by MicroMark for holding my Tradesman 8075S drill press instead of leaving it sitting in the corner on a floor as I am doing now.

Offline unioncreek

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »
Yea,  I know about cozy.  I have an 10x10 room, that has a 2 foot deep shelving unit running down one side.  So it's really about 8x10. Have my reloading bench a 3 foot shelf, my HF 8x12 lathe and a drill press.  Plus a pottery wheel stuff under the lathe that gets pulled out and used.   I've gotten accustomed to working in that area after having a 40x60 barn.  But, its warm in the winter and cool in the summer.  I'll build a garage this fall, 24x28 and move everything out there, but then I will not be able to run downstairs and tinker for a couple of minutes while I have time.

Bob

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 03:38:47 PM »
Hi
looks cozy.
can I offer one piece of advice, Please move the extension socket from the floor.
if it gets chips in it.................. :zap: :zap: :zap: :zap:

Roy.
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »
Hi
looks cozy.
can I offer one piece of advice, Please move the extension socket from the floor.
if it gets chips in it.................. :zap: :zap: :zap: :zap:

Roy.

I'll second Roy's suggestion.  I'm aware of at least one fire started that way. 

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline superc

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 03:10:19 PM »
Acknowledged.