Author Topic: New saddle plates for my 7x12.  (Read 8393 times)

Offline websterz

New saddle plates for my 7x12.
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:54:47 PM »
I have a nice variety of material choices available to me...360 brass, bearing bronze, mild steel, drill rod, nylon, 6061 T6...maybe even some cast iron bits I can mill down to suit.

I want to redo the plates on this lathe so I can adjust them from the top with self-locking capscrews for vibration resistance. I do a lot of parting work and keeping the saddle snug is a real chore with the current setup. The original plates are brittle Chinese cast iron which will eventually give out and crack. I want to replace them before that. What material, or combination or materials, will give the best result?
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

bogstandard

Re: New saddle plates for my 7x12.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:24:09 AM »
W,

Can you show or explain a bit more on what you mean by 'saddle plates'.

Once we know exactly what bit it is, I am sure we can make a good recommendation for you.

John

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:05:53 AM »

Bogs, I believe he is referring to the gibs. The ones you replaced  with tapered gibs on Darrens lathe.

Ron

bogstandard

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »
Thanks Ron,

Then I would suggest a bit of a read from this part of the post,

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=627.msg3898#msg3898

Also shows a site where you can go to to read up about it.

Bogs

Offline websterz

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »
Yeah...gibs...not sure what I was thinking.  :scratch: I don't really think of them as gibs since they are flat plates...I had dovetail gibs on my mind.  :bang:
Looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me. I should have my surface grinder running in a day or two...might as well go full Monty on the lathe and start from the bottom up.  :ddb: With a bit of careful setup wizardry I can grind the critical surfaces of the casting, as my mini-mill is too small to do it the other way round.
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Yeah...gibs...not sure what I was thinking.  :scratch: I don't really think of them as gibs since they are flat plates...I had dovetail gibs on my mind.  :bang:
Looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me. I should have my surface grinder running in a day or two...might as well go full Monty on the lathe and start from the bottom up.  :ddb: With a bit of careful setup wizardry I can grind the critical surfaces of the casting, as my mini-mill is too small to do it the other way round.

Looks like you've got the project weill planned  :proj: don't foget to post a few pics so we can follow you along the way.

Cheers

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:33:57 PM »
Over at http://www.mini-lathe.com/NewUser/default.asp They offer a mod for making the gib adjustment from the top side. I've never subscribed, but the price is cheap and the mods they put up are generally pretty darned good. Might be worth the price not to have to reinvent the wheel.

Steve

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 02:25:17 AM »
For some reason I have never been able to see that site via my ISP?
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:28:36 AM »
For some reason I have never been able to see that site via my ISP?

Me too an all!  ::)
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 02:37:06 AM »
I'm with Tiscali, what's yours?

I may change mine soon and would wish to avoid a repeat performance  :doh:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 03:13:49 AM »
I'm with Tiscali, what's yours?

I may change mine soon and would wish to avoid a repeat performance  :doh:

aol.......  ::)
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline websterz

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »
Over at http://www.mini-lathe.com/NewUser/default.asp They offer a mod for making the gib adjustment from the top side. I've never subscribed, but the price is cheap and the mods they put up are generally pretty darned good. Might be worth the price not to have to reinvent the wheel.

Steve

I subscribed several months ago...the carriage lock design alone is worth the $25.00 AFAIAC!!  :)

I am going to go all out and install tapered gibs...I might as well do it right, eh?