Author Topic: New crucible  (Read 4327 times)

Offline ironman

New crucible
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:36:13 AM »
Hi everyone

I have a novel method breaking in new crucibles, have a look at the video. 

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 01:19:04 AM by dsquire »

Offline Fredbare

• Fakenham, Norfolk
Re: New crucible
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 03:53:03 PM »
 Incredible Ironman, that is amazing, thanks for showing.

John

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:11:23 AM »
I wonder how many novice casters will be hurt trying to do what was shown in that video?
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
The real danger comes when molten metal of any form is poured into a mold or receptacle that has a small quantity of moisture in the bottom and nowhere to vent too safely.

Under those circumstances the situation is explosive in that 1cc of water suddenly becomes 1600cc of flash steam with nowhere else to vent so it rapidly expels the molten metal out of the mold and into the area where the operative is standing,a potentially lethal situation.

All molds and ladles etc are best heated above 100 degrees centigrade to ensure pockets of water are driven out before introducing any molten metal.

The demo that ironman shows of pouring molten metal into water without any catastrophic reaction does not surprise me at all.

30 years ago I worked in the hand made glass industry and we frequently ladled large quantities of molten glass direct from the furnace into large iron foundry kettles filled with cold water without any dramatic incidents.

The reason we did this was to produce a form of glass known as cullet for remelting as a percentage batch mix with other raw ingredients to produce lead crystal glass.

The glass shatters into granular uniform sized pieces as it cools in the water,as the water heats up and boils more cold water has to be added until the glass cools below boiling point.

A comprehensive knowledge of steam and it's dangers is always to be recommended before working with molten metals.

...OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline ironman

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 12:50:00 AM »
Chuck

I wonder if you have had your eyes checked lately? I was not injured or hurt in any way so why would  novice casters be hurt? I also mentioned at the start of the video under certain conditions water and molten metal can be dangerous.