Author Topic: Fly cutters  (Read 19339 times)

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
Re: Fly cutters
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2014, 02:02:18 PM »
Hi Rick,

I rotated the pictures for you !

It looks fine.  As far as the cutting tip geometry is concerned I just treated it like a lathe tool.

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »

Nice !  I like the round insert.
I can see me trying that on the end of a bit of 3/8" round in my disc fly cutter.
What is the insert ?

It's actually a lathe insert for profile work, 13mm dia I think. I did think of using one before but dismissed the idea as I expected the insert to break, then I saw someone else using one so followed suit! You get lots if cutting edges before it needs replacing, just rotate a little to use a fresh bit.

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 05:27:45 PM »
Thanks for fixing the pictures.  I never knew you had to hold the I pad a certain way.  Figured it just took the picture in the window.  Learning every day.  Or forgetting and relearning every other day. 
Using Tapatalk

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 06:00:53 PM »
Hi Rick,

You're not the first and not likely to be the last person to make that error.  :doh:  Although I thought that the Ipad had an app that would modify the pictures.  The XYL's  Tab 2 does.

Me I use Linux !  Click the image, click rotate, click save...  Job done.

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 05:07:51 PM »
I use carbide insert tools in a similar R8 shank flycutter, but I use the TT221 triangular ones. These seem like they would make beautiful cuts, especially in aluminum. Before I used the inserts, I was grinding tool bits from HSS blanks, and I found to get a nice aluminum finish I had to use a radius and grind it similar to an ice cream serving paddle's profile. Can you tell me the model number of that insert? I think I'd like to buy a holder and one of those inserts to try here.

Do you ever have any problem with the insert rotating on its own? The triangular ones mate up against a flat recess on the back side not cutting.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 05:23:53 AM »
I grind mine like this when I use HSS.

No idea what the insert reference is, sorry. Not had an insert rotate in use so far.

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 10:41:17 AM »
If you ground a radius into the cutting face of your cutter, parallel to the bit's long axis, and about the same radius size as you have on its cutting corner, you would have what I had mentioned.

I tried to find the round insert and holder you pictured above. I found the inserts. Rather pricey, but considering they offer several times the 3 cutting orientations to which I am accustomed with the triangle shaped inserts, the price seems justified. However, I could not find a holder for them anywhere, and I looked for quite a while using Enco, Amazon, MSC, and eventually just Google. Nada.

Rather strange none of those vendors listed the holder on the same page as their round cutter. Most vendors try to get you to look at "what others purchased along with this product" to get more items in your cart. But I admit most vendor search engines are completely abysmal. Even after finding the technical code name for this style of round insert, sites like Enco could not find anything using that name. Without someone's part number for the actual holder, I would probably have to dig through a paper catalog to find it. Aren't computers supposed to make life easier?? lol

Thanks!

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
I just used a piece of 3/8 steel bar. I cut a pocket for the insert then just drilled and tapped a hole for the screw, M4 I think. Unless you chip it you should get anything from 10-20 cutting edges from each insert so they do last a long time.

Offline rick barnes

• Tapatalk User
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
I did notice a round profile helps ease lateral travel and gives a better finish.
Using Tapatalk

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 05:00:36 PM »
I just used a piece of 3/8 steel bar. I cut a pocket for the insert then just drilled and tapped a hole for the screw, M4 I think. Unless you chip it you should get anything from 10-20 cutting edges from each insert so they do last a long time.

Oh, you made your own? Cool. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »

Oh, you made your own? Cool. Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Yes I think its neat !  I've got my eye on a couple of likely candidate inserts.  When I get them I'll post photos.  :D

Best Regards:
                     Baron