Author Topic: unimat sl lathe refit  (Read 9537 times)

Offline krv3000

unimat sl lathe refit
« on: March 10, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »
hi all well i started this and for got to tack pics of it befor i started  :bang: striped the lathe right dawn removed the old pant and started to make a adapter for a drill chuck for the tale stock striped the tale stock out  got sum stainless bar  chucked it up in the lathe and drilled it 11m by 35 deep then taped it m12x1 witch i borrowed from work then cut it off by 15mm then screwed it on to the tale stock sleeve then turned the OD to 16mm then bored out the end to 12mm that is as far as i have got tonight will post sum more tomorrow  right pics

Offline greenie

Re: unimat sl lathe refit
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
Would have thought that "chromed bar" would be a lot stiffer, than Stainless Steel for the carriage ways. :scratch:

regards  greenie 

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:05:06 PM »
hi i have plast a order fore sum 12mm od silver steel for new rales fore the bed

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:40 PM »
Bob
        It might be worth your while joining the Yahoogroups Unimat forum to get a copy of Rex Tingey's Making the most of the Unimat which cover the new bed bars  etc.

It's nice read

Cheers

Norman

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
ok

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
hi as promised but late i finished off the tale stock adapter for the chuck i put the tale stock tube in me 4 jaw chuck and cloced it in sos no pics of that bit then put the edapter on to it and turnd it paralel it the tube then threded the end 20 unf to fit the chuck then all was dun but i had to put it back in me 3 jaw chuck as i did not put a grove at the back of the htreds to let the chuck go right back right pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »
hi all well its all panted gnaw and i have a rotating head witch was given to me by mick thank you so much witch the jaws fit the chuck on the lathe so i don't need to look for a replacement chuck pad a visit to peters and he had a rummage and came up with a motor for it not a original motor but one that will do the job nicely so today i have spent striping the motor re-panting it and re wiring it it needs two new Bering's but their are plenty of them on the net right pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
Hi Bob, its looking really smart now , should look like new once you are finished with it. I am glad the rotating head and chuck have solved your chuck problem , looks like Peter has come up trumps with a motor so just really the bed bars you need now ? I look forward to seeing it up and running soon  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 05:51:11 PM »
hi all SOS for the long delay in post on the lathe had a problem with the motor i got a replacement motor for£5 at the boot sale the next job was to mack a new motor mount bracket as the original one had bin welded up badly i marked out a plate sum time a go but without a mill it wood of bin hard for me to get it dun but then John IE doubleboost offed me the use of his mill to do the bracket SOS no pics of me milling  it just ones of the finished bracket right pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 06:38:37 PM »
Better than the flimsy original part Bob , a fine job , should be a really nice little lathe once you are finished with it.
  Cheers Mick

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 10:15:13 PM »
Oh, great read, Bob, I missed this one. The lathe looks very fine now!  :clap: :clap: :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »
hi all as on the last leg of restoring the sl lathe. john ie doubleboost drilled and tap the new bed bares thank you so mutch john :thumbsup: so i have fitted them the next thing was to mack a new hand wheel as one of them was missing got a lump of aluminum turned it dawn just under the OD of the original one then put a knurl on it  then turned it dawn to the size of where the indexing macks shod be then drilled it and tap it for m5 then mad up two handles out of stainless steel then tried to fit the Handel for sum on reason their seemed to be not enuf thread sticking out of the Handel to fit the nut on to had it back to bits and fawned that the end of the feed screw thread had bin cut off so i had to mack the recess deeper in the Handel so the nut can go on  right pics  on a different note i have this lathe to sort out to its a Atlas 10 need a pdf on one if any one has one

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 10:08:44 PM »
Unimat looks fantastic, Bob!

Here's an illustrated parts list for the Atlas 10
And an Atlas lathe catalog with illustrations:
Steve

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
hi thanks for the hellp with the atles  :clap: :clap:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:23 PM »
You're welcome, Bob.  I have a Craftsman 12" which I think shares some parts and is very similar to the Atlas 10".
Steve