Author Topic: G'day from Melbourne!  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Amfibius

G'day from Melbourne!
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:18:47 AM »
Hi all, thanks for letting me join your little forum :) I'm from Melbourne, Australia. I know nothing about machining. I am normally a ship model builder, but I want to take my hobby to the next level. So I have just bought a Proxxon MF70 and have a Sherline 4410 lathe on order. I'm excited to have found something new to learn :)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: G'day from Melbourne!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »

Hi Amfibius

Welcome to Madmodder and thank you for joining our forum. There are many others on the forum that started similar to yourself. Getting a lathe and a mill will allow you to take your model ship building to a whole new level.

If you have any questions just ask. There is always someone around to help out or at least give an opinin. We look forward to your participation in the various threads  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline Amfibius

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
Thank you guys for the welcome. I already have two first projects in mind:

- power feed for both the lathe and mill table. I will make an adapter for the handwheel, with a universal joint in the middle. I will attach this to my powered screwdriver.

- sensitive drilling attachment. Effectively this converts my mill into a drill press. Probably more complicated to make. I have a design in my head.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
Hi Amfibius, welcome to the forum, it looks like you are off to a good start , making tools to make tools and altering tools ...... A path we all seem to go along on the way to hopefully one day doing a project with the tools and machines we have altered  :D
  Looking forward to seeing your projects .
  Cheers Mick.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 05:25:39 AM »
Hi Amfibius

Welcome;   :wave:   like you I started with making tools to make stuff with..& it still goes on  :palm: never mind enjoy!  :headbang:

George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:02:36 AM »
Hi Amfibius.  :wave:

Welcome to the Collective!  :borg:

You're going the right way. The same way as we're all going, mostly. Great to have you along.  :thumbup:

Join in when you can/ need to. Show pics..... We like pics......

Enjoy!

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:18:56 AM »
Hi Amfibius

Welcome to MadModder, good luck with all your new machinery, there are lots of members to advise with any problems you may encounter.
                                                Cheers David

Offline Amfibius

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 11:32:08 AM »
Thank you gents for the warm welcome! It's a little disturbing that all the projects I can think of involve making more tools. At the moment I have no idea how I am going to hold down soft wooden parts without crushing them, or how to drill holes without also drilling into the table (Proxxon MF70 does not have a z-axis depth stop), and so on. Also on the cards is a project to make a rope serving machine which I will mount on the lathe, as well as a multi-function waterline marker and vertical angle finder.

Right now, all that I have received is my Proxxon MF70 mill along with its accessories as well as some aluminium stock I picked up on eBay. I am still waiting for my Sherline lathe to arrive. Once that gets here, I will get started on my first project. I am already starting to think that the Proxxon might not be enough mill for my ambitions, even though I have not actually milled anything on it yet! We'll see!

I will post some pictures when all the gear arrives.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 02:02:18 AM »
G'Day & welcome Amfibius, I live about 85km from Melb. Don't know if you are aware of them but the "Melbourne Society of Model and Experimental Engineers" (What a mouthfull.) meet I think at Monash. And you may like to visit their web site, perhaps attend a meeting.  http://www.msmee.org.au/index.html   I got the following from their "About Us" page If it helps.
They meet at  the A.M.R.A. Hall, 92 Wills Street, Glen Iris, Melbourne (Melway ref. 59-J8), every second Friday in the month. Meetings start at 8.00 p.m. Visitors are welcome to come along.
Regards,
Swarfnstuff
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Amfibius

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »
LOL, is that right! I am in Camberwell, I drive through Glen Iris every day on my way to work! I'll make sure I turn up to one of their meetings! Thanks for posting the link.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 12:29:56 AM »
Welcome Amfibius, you are sure to enjoy it.

Jim

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 09:39:18 PM »
Hi there Amphibius,plenty to learn from this lot on here,and plenty to laugh about at times.

Hope you enjoy the Mad Modder experience....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up