Author Topic: Can the Sieg X2 Mill make T-Slots?  (Read 18328 times)

Offline tom osselton

Re: Can the Sieg X2 Mill make T-Slots?
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Nice

Offline mattinker

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 05:37:35 PM »
It's nice to see you answered your own question , with positive results!

Regards, Matthew.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »
well done brother... very nice looking piece of equipment you have ended up with...... enjoy it.

Anthony..
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 06:35:05 PM »
Thank you all for the kind replies! I'm very happy with how it turned out. I used intermittent applications of Tapmatic Natural cutting fluid and while doing the T-Slotting I retracted and vacuumed out the chips 3 or 4 times per slot. Very slow hand feed, running about 550-600 rpm. It sounds like it is working hard, but in fact the motor only got marginally warm. I decided to mill each slot, T-Slot it, then mill the next slot, so the machine (and I) got a break after the T-Slotting each time. The cutter still looks pretty much like new (I did not use it on any scrap, I just decided to go for it, because I had the rotab all set up.  But I did put blocks under the 6" table and clamp it down while slotting, just in case.

I've decided to buy a set of T-slot cam clamps (LMS' set similar to Mitee Bite) but they just arrived today, so have not tried them yet. Even with a 6" table, there's not a lot of room for traditional hold down clamps.

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2014, 07:11:13 AM »

muncher,
  you mentioned earlier that you were considering making T nuts to fit,, well when i recently got my mill I did'nt fancy the prices  of  the T nuts and they only came in packs of 2  or 6 or even 10 at best.. So I bought these wedge nuts and just sawed and filed them to size and they've been fine plus you can find then with lots of different threads...At a fiver for 20 it may be worth considering....just a thought.... :dremel:
....Mike...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-Standard-Wedge-Nuts-Pack-of-20-/160507677077?pt=UK

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »

muncher,
  you mentioned earlier that you were considering making T nuts to fit,, well when i recently got my mill I did'nt fancy the prices  of  the T nuts and they only came in packs of 2  or 6 or even 10 at best.. So I bought these wedge nuts and just sawed and filed them to size and they've been fine plus you can find then with lots of different threads...At a fiver for 20 it may be worth considering....just a thought.... :dremel:
....Mike...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M10-Standard-Wedge-Nuts-Pack-of-20-/160507677077?pt=UK

Nice affordable solution. I like those. :) I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Currently, I seem to have enough T nuts for whatever I need to do.

BTW, if anyone reading this opts for those LMS cam clamps similar to Mitee Bite, I found a solution last night to their stated restriction of only fitting the middle slot on a SIEG X2 mill table, IF it has a power feed mounted to the left end (so one can't simply remove the table end cap for access).

The problem is that their T nut is a little longer than standard size for these slots, because each has a pair of threaded holes in it so they can work correctly. This causes the need to lower one into the end of the mill table slots in the center, crossways, and then rotate it as you 'steer' it into the center slot (like driving a boat into a dock in a cramped harbor). But you can't steer it into one of the outer slots. The corners on the back end of the T nut jam against the table. So, with the help of a corner rounding bit for my mill, I put a 0.250" radius on the tail end corners of each nut. Now I can steer them into any slot. :)

I then got to use them fly cutting the face of a 4.5" aluminum disc I am making into a handwheel for the shaft I added to my mini lathe leadscrew. They held very well, using 2 on one side and 1 on the other, in use of all 3 slots.

Offline stirling lad

• Stirling Scotland
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2014, 01:25:23 PM »
muncher,,
I'd bet that once you get the leadscrew handwheel going the way you want it, you'll hardly use the other apron wheel except when you want to just move the whole carriage out of the way ... of all the little mods i've done to my mini lathe that one is by far the best,,,oops sorry,,, i'm away off topic... :wack:

...Mike...

Offline MetalMuncher

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
Well, being that the topic, the question of whether making T slots on the X 2, is very resolved, I promise not to call the Topic Cops on you. lol

I will say that when it comes to hand cranking, if I don't absolutely have to, I'll go for power feed most of the time. I honestly don't like the CCW rotation on the new handwheel needed to advance the lathe saddle, so may someday add some gearing to reverse the handwheel so it goes CW. Just makes more sense to me.

When I figure out how I would want to do it, I may add power to the leadscrew, and I have similar inclinations on my Y axis mill crank. I've even entertained the notion of a power feed on my rotary table. :) But that would see very little use, for sure. The Y axis on the mill needs it the most. That gets tiresome. Had they exposed the column end of the Y axis screw I might have figured out a way by now. But adding it on the handhweel end would kind of be in the way.

I did encounter something last night on the lathe that could be mentioned in regard to why the X2 is able to mill the T slots without much difficulty. Even though it is a lot of cutting on both sides and top of the T slot cutter, it is not all that big in diameter. I was truing up an aluminum round of 4.5" diameter on the lathe. That is the largest project diameter I've mounted on it. Really only do-able because I added over an inch of crossslide travel recently.

Out at that diameter, getting the right combination of speed and depth of feed was tricky. Trying to go too fast caused chatter, and trying to go what would normally have been a simple to cut 0.010" depth also caused chatter and a tendency to stall the lathe, due to the low speed, flex in the QC tool post hanging out that far, and lack of slow speed torque on this lathe's stock motor. I had to limit passes to about 0.003" to get a smooth finish, even with a brand new indexable cutter mounted, and frequent removal of built up edge. Apparently the surface speed at that diameter even at the lathe's lowest effective speed creates too much loading force to go any deeper.

So it seems to me that even though a T slot cutter seems to be moving a lot of metal, it works a lot better than even a single point tool, WHEN that tool is way out on a large diameter driven by a similar motor. Interesting.