Author Topic: Turned Mallets  (Read 15397 times)

Offline micktoon

Turned Mallets
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
    Evening all, I have found some photos of some mallets and a hammer shaft I made a month or so back, I did not take photos of them getting made but thought the finished items might be of intrest.
   The group consists of two lignum vitae wood carvers mallets one bigger than the other with ash handles and ebony wedges, two brass headed stone carving mallets again one bigger than the other with ash handles and ebony wedges. The final one is a metal working repousse or chasing hammer, I had the head lying around for years and have made the shaft in an old traditional style from ebony with a boxwood wedge, the head looks good quality and is probably quite old I have buffed it up so is good as new.

The wood carving mallets, large one about three and a half inches diameter head , small about two and a half inch head.

The stone carving mallets, the larger one is about one and three quarter inches diameter and the small about one and a quarter ich diameter

The repousse hammer, in my hand to give some idea of size, the slender stem is so the hammer has some spring in it as it is used to repeatedly tap punches lightly.

Cheers Mick.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Turned Mallets
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »
Hi
Mick
I am not that keen on wood  (wood burning stove and patern making) is the only use i have for it.
You seem to be able to do magical things with it  :drool: :drool: :drool:
Those hammers Mallets are beutifull
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
  Cheers John ,
                        funny enough I never really liked wood either lol, it just seemed that quite a few things I wanted or needed to make had to have some wood involved in the project and since then its grew on me :lol:............. I have branched out :lol: , turned a new leaf :lol: and it dosent go against the grain now :lol: I think I have got to the root of it  :lol:

Some good things about wood ,
   It never has to be exact size thou's etc , its much faster to make something, if you make a complete arse of the job it still burns lovely.......oh aye ..... and it grows on trees  :D so you can often get it for nowt  :drool:

Anyway nowt wrong with your rammer or pattern  :bow: :bow: John so I am sure you could make similar stuff if you need to, just give me a shout if I Can help with advice or anything :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 06:45:41 PM »
Hi Lads just bumped this to the top as Arbilst had mentioned a brass mallet in my last post , I thought I might have posted some ages ago and I must have, so here they are.
  Cheers Mick.

Offline BiggerHammer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »
  Cheers John ,
                        funny enough I never really liked wood either lol, it just seemed that quite a few things I wanted or needed to make had to have some wood involved in the project and since then its grew on me :lol:............. I have branched out :lol: , turned a new leaf :lol: and it dosent go against the grain now :lol: I think I have got to the root of it  :lol:

Some good things about wood ,
   It never has to be exact size thou's etc , its much faster to make something, if you make a complete arse of the job it still burns lovely.......oh aye ..... and it grows on trees  :D so you can often get it for nowt  :drool:

It might have been funnier if your delivery hadn't been so wooden.         (I suspect we have a similar sense of humor)

Anyway nowt wrong with your rammer or pattern  :bow: :bow: John so I am sure you could make similar stuff if you need to, just give me a shout if I Can help with advice or anything :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:33 AM »
Nice Mick, thanks for posting. Now I must make my own when my lathe is set up!