Author Topic: Mini weekend project  (Read 12910 times)

Offline Hale21

Mini weekend project
« on: April 06, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »
Slow day in the workshop - started to make stops for my X1 mini mill but didn't have the right sized bolts so I thought I would build a mini cannon.

Still need to do quite a bit of finishing, especially re-polishing around the silver soldered pivots (how do you get the heat marks off).

I had a go at making a tool to press the brass pivot caps, how I can drill on a milling machine and still not get it straight is beyond me!

One day I'll get it right. :doh:

Hal
If it's not broken it soon will be!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Mini weekend project
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:58:53 PM »
 :clap: does it fire??

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:33:02 PM »
We used the heads of red matches for cannon powder when I was a boy :)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Hale21

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 04:12:07 AM »
If I can get some fuse wire I'll try it today! :zap:

I once made a rocket out of alloy bar at school, filled it with match heads and foolishly used a needle file to ram them home! No eyebrows but second attempt it disappeared over the next doors neighbours fence.

Sorry about the rubbish photos - must get a new camera.

Hal

Offline Hale21

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:38:17 PM »
Just had first firing - not impressive :(

Either not enough propellant or rubbish design - either possible. As soon as I can get the paper wadding out (should have a made a wormer) I'll try again - match heads this time.

Hal

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:00:44 PM »
When we were kid's we use to stuff 22 shells with match heads crimp the end and smash with hammer. ... Looking back sheesh!  :Doh:  Or take 303 shells apart for the cordite.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 04:08:35 AM »
Hi All, Like Tom I used to stuff 22 shells with match heads and crimp them. One day my friend and I  put two on the tram track and waited. BLAM BANG, The tram brakes slammed on and the poor dirver got out to see what he had hit or what had blown up. Two boys sitting on the fence trying not to laugh. Oh and what about two half inch bolts part threaded into one nut with the gap between stuffed with match heads. Tossed at the brick wall. Amazingly I still have all my fingers, eyes, etc.
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
We never used the bolt method we had those plastic bomb shaped ones you know the ones with the spring loaded nose that the caps go under.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
I used to use an old wardrobe key with 2 or 3 match heads and a bit of lead fishing shot. frighten my mom half to death once  :lol:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »
A carbide gun? Made with the remains from  miners' acetylene lamps and put into a bottle and pissed in and corked.

There was one bright spark who couldn't find a proper bottle and used a screwcap one- True!

Offline Hale21

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 05:23:45 PM »
Wow forgot about cap firing rockets - I can still smell the caps!

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 03:25:21 AM »
Oh, Carbide Gun? That reminds me that we used to get an old Ovaltine (Chocolate type hot drink powder) tin, pop a small hole in the side near the bottom. pour in a little water followed by some carbide then jamb a tennis ball into the mouth of the can. Balance the lot against the edge of a house brick to get elevation the a lit match to the hole and whoomp. Tennis ball some 50 metre down the back yard. The reason for the Ovaltine tin was because it was just the right size for the tennnis ball to fit. Kinda handy living in a town where mines still operated so carbide was fairly easy to come by.
 :offtopic:     Hey what was the topic again? Oh yeah, Weekend projects.
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
Wow forgot about cap firing rockets - I can still smell the caps!

Yep those are the ones!!

Offline angus

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 01:42:02 AM »
Hi All, Like Tom I used to stuff 22 shells with match heads and crimp them. One day my friend and I  put two on the tram track and waited. BLAM BANG, The tram brakes slammed on and the poor dirver got out to see what he had hit or what had blown up. Two boys sitting on the fence trying not to laugh. Oh and what about two half inch bolts part threaded into one nut with the gap between stuffed with match heads. Tossed at the brick wall. Amazingly I still have all my fingers, eyes, etc.

one of those cut a groove in my chin......and then after bouncing off me went through an asbestos garage roof, punching a neat hole........

think that may of been the last ones of those i made.......

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
You were lucky for sure pioneering the pipe b. It is amazing just how much energy matches have.