Author Topic: To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu; that is the question.  (Read 71906 times)

Offline mattinker

Re: To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu; that is the question.
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2014, 04:37:45 PM »
Thanks VT,

I forgot that my network is all hard wired, I don't see the need for me to bombard myself with a frequency close to microwaves when I can have a better connection using wires. This is a personal preference, I expect criticism for it, I don't use Wifi and tend to forget it!

Regards, Matthew

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2014, 06:02:33 PM »
Mattinker, can't see why anyone would crticize you over that!

I just mentioned the wifi modem as an example, and in case David already had that, since the cable companies tend to provide them as a matter of course here. They can be used as routers via cable if they hve enough network ports, and i believe it is also possible to turn off the wifi with a setting if you log in locally (via cable).

You could also unscrew the antenna. The box is shielded.

And, of course, cable routers are widely available, etc.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mattinker

« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
Just to be clear, my Wifi is switched off!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
Yup, I knew that. I meant you as in "one." Writing mainly to help David.
Steve

Offline DavidA

« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2014, 06:27:49 AM »
Thanks for that.

I wasn't aware that the routers had multiple hard-wire outlets. I'll have to look closer at my Virgin box.

I'll let you know how I sort it all out.

Dave.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2014, 07:47:22 AM »
Something related to this subject.

A I mentioned,  I have a broadband cable straight into my computer.

Now, I need to run three computers of the incoming line, but  I don't like the idea of using a radio hub.  So I suppose the other rout is to set up my computers on a LAN. Taking out the single broadband LAN cable and swapping it around is not a good thing to do.

I have never had anything to do with LANs,  but I believe that you set up one computer as a server and this machine has to be running all the time you wish to use the others.
Is this correct,  and has anyone done it ?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I would be surprised if there isn't a modem in-between the incoming line and the computer.  Very often the modem comes with a built in router.  Some are only a single port, but more usually, have at least four.  These routers will support many more computers than they have ports for.  For instance my ISP supplied router has four LAN output ports but is capable of supplying up to 128 computers.

If you have more than four computers then you need a multi-port switch.  You can buy these in various versions with from 5 to 256 or more outputs.  All you need to do is plug in a LAN cable between the router and your computer.  The computer will at start up request an address from the router via the switch and use that address.

Note: The router has a switch built in to it.  You cascade switches by plugging in cables between them.  External switches usually have a dedicated input port for the purpose of expansion.

One last point:  Not all routers, computers and switches have the ability to detect the cable type.  Some need what is called a "Straight through" cable and others need a "Cross  over" type.  The ones that can detect the cable type don't care because they swap the connections automatically internally.

I recall an incident at a fairly large company that cost them an awful lot of money because the technician didn't know the difference between the two cable types.

HTH.

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
Didn't realize that crossover cables were used with routers Baron. I thought they were only used when trying to direct connect two computers without a router. I have one, left over from the old days, but I actually had to make it at the time.  :dremel:
Steve

Offline DavidA

« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
I also thought that the crossover cable was a throwback to the days when one had to connect two PCs via the serial ports.

An additional problem I have is that the Virgin cable box (adsl ?) has to be connected at the point the cable comes into the house. If I try to connect it at the end of a long extension LAN cable then it won't work.
So,  the box is connected downstairs where the cable enters.  Then there is a long LAN cable to take the broadband upstairs to my computers.
If I want to change machines to use the laptop as opposed to the Esys computer then I have to change the cable from one to the other.  I also have to go downstairs and turn the modem off and then back on  or it won't see the new machine.

The point of this exercise is to be able to avoid this cable changing. Also to allow my wife to use one to play her online bingo whilst I use the other .

Dave.

If they were just serial D type I could use a data switch. But not with a LAN cable on broadband.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »
Hi David,

Are you on fibre ?  And does the cable box only have one port ?  Also can you access the cable box configuration dialogue ? 

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »
Hi David,

If your modem only has one Ethernet socket on it, it's probably quite old and you might be able to persuade Virgin to send you a new wireless router modem. After all you're paying them enough. This should have probably four Ethernet ports on the back plus the ability to connect to it with wifi if you want. Worth a try.

A few years ago I had a rush of blood to the head and decided to wire part of the house up with Cat 5 cabling and a patch panel (below). Totally over the top but it has its uses. Each outlet can be configured as an internet connection or phone point.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »
Yes similar thing happened to me -- I complained about dropouts with my older router with single connector, and the cable provider replaced it with a newer one with 4 LAN connections. They just mailed it to me, and told me to keep the old one.
Steve