Author Topic: cast iron:  (Read 4069 times)

Offline kayz1

cast iron:
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:17:23 PM »
Hi all, just a bit of help please, i have a drill table that has a big dimple in it's middle so i thought i may have a bash at making it flat.
I have made a ( fixture )  :dremel: to assist in the holding down to the mill table..I thought i would use the four tooth fly cuttery thingy..
BUT, at what speed do i run the mill to cut cast iron?  many thanks in advance.
  Lyn.

Offline Meldonmech

Re: cast iron:
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:14:14 AM »
Hi Lyn
            First make sure you do not distort the table when clamping it to the fixture or table. The table should be level in both the X and Y axis and be the same when clamped to the table, otherwise it will spring back when released after skimming and will not be level on the drilling machine.
            Cast iron has a low cutting speed, and therefore the lowest speed on your milling machine. The cutting speed is the rev per min. X the cutter dia. The bigger the cutter dia. the lower the speed. Google cast iron cutting speed and you should get the ideal cutting speed. Beware though the iron may be chilled and very hard and you may need to use carbide cutters if not using them already.
                                                                      Good Luck  David

Offline kayz1

Re: cast iron:
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:53:53 AM »
Many thanks David, came in to see if i had a reply, will go and play now.#
Thanks again.
  Lyn.
PS: must remember to cover the new motorcycle.