Author Topic: Harrogate Show 9 - 11 May  (Read 17099 times)

Offline Deko

Re: Harrogate Show 9 - 11 May
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 03:42:57 AM »
I was never a big fan of wearing badges, but as a volunteer at "men in sheds" we are required to wear them so there could well be 3 or 4 of us there on Saturday with AgeUK badges on. I will be the one with the hairy face so say hello and have a quick natter.  :beer:

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 04:32:05 AM »
Hi there, Dek,

This is   :offtopic:  but please could you explain "men in sheds"?

I read somewhere about a sort of communal blokes' workshop club, is that the sort of thing you're referring to?  Rather different from a Model Engineering club.

Reconciling such an institution with H&S could be challenging! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 04:57:47 AM »
Don't care what sort of hand shake it is, as long as it has a bacon butty in the middle.
John Stevenson

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 08:01:20 AM »
Hi there, Dek,

This is   :offtopic:  but please could you explain "men in sheds"?

I read somewhere about a sort of communal blokes' workshop club, is that the sort of thing you're referring to?  Rather different from a Model Engineering club.

Reconciling such an institution with H&S could be challenging!

Pete,

Have a look at this thread

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7959.25.html

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline Deko

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
Hi Pete.  If you use Gary's link that will save my one typing finger a lot of trouble.  H&S has not proved to be a problem so far, and we have been open for nearly 4 years, total wounds so far, one hole drilled in finger, and one finger end opened up a little on the bandsaw. :palm: I was not present on either occasion.
I think there are now about 40 "sheds" around the country although the ones in Cheshire are the only ones organised by AgeUK.  If you do a google search you could well find one close to you. They are a great place to make new mates and have a real good laugh.

John, I don't think we have any of those stone bashers with only one trouser leg, and I can't eat bacon butties since I had all my teeth taken out. The misses does do some wonderful cheese & onion ones though. :thumbup:    See you folks on Saturday ????  :beer:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »
Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.

Hope you guys have a great day!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Deko

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »
Thanks David, will do my best, although it's a shame you can't make it. :(

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »
Not sure if ill be there this year or not, hoping to make saturday if i can fit it in. Enjoyed the chats in the past with Dave and Phil  Ralph and Peter (HS93) before he passed away.   not forgetting Aussie Jim as well. Im Sure Phil Fern has mentioned badges before it would be easier than standing under the big window at a certain time, David ive had both knees done now they are great!!!!!! only thing is now the hips are going as well. Aint it a bugger getting old. Well if i dont get there i hope someone will post some pics for us all.
John

Offline philf

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »
Not sure if ill be there this year or not, hoping to make saturday if i can fit it in. Enjoyed the chats in the past with Dave and Phil  Ralph and Peter (HS93) before he passed away.   not forgetting Aussie Jim as well. Im Sure Phil Fern has mentioned badges before it would be easier than standing under the big window at a certain time, David ive had both knees done now they are great!!!!!! only thing is now the hips are going as well. Aint it a bugger getting old. Well if i dont get there i hope someone will post some pics for us all.
John

Hi John,

Sorry if you can't make it this year.

I've got my badge ready but will still make my way to the big window for 12:30. I was going to engrave a badge but just printed one out in the end. The loco wheel is my avatar and I thought I'd advertise MadModder by putting the url at the bottom.

Cheers.

Phil.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:29:39 PM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline philf

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
Just JonIndigoman and myself met up by the big window.  :(

I was there from 12:25 to 12:45 with my badge on.

Where was everybody else?

Phil.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:11:01 PM by philf »
Phil Fern

Offline Eugene

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 03:03:14 PM »
Phil,

I'm very sorry we missed each other. I was there by the big picture window which much to my surprise was the seating area for the cafe. I wore my Sthil hat with pride from about twenty past twelve until five minutes to one , but saw no one who was prepared to approach me  in spite of much advanced leering and winking. I did briefly speak to John Doubleboost  who clearly (and rightly) thought I was a nutter.

Whilst sat in the Caff I was earbent by a chap who if not a shoo-in for membership of the next British Olympic Boring team, was well in the running as a coach and mentor. Five Fiat Toplinos!!

Overall I enjoyed the show and bought a couple of bits and bobs, but I thought it a bit thin on the ground in terms of suppliers.

Again, sorry the meet didn't work; next year in Jerusalem perhaps. Or Brum. :wave:

Eug 

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
You were 100 foot to the right.
The big picture window everyone is on about is in the first hall, not the bit connecting the two halls.
Machine DRO stand against the window in question.

I'm going tomorrow, not aiming to meet up with anyone, much prefer the incognito effect.
John Stevenson

Offline Eugene

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »
Borrox.

Eug

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
Borrox.

Eug

From page 2........

"Eug.
Straight across the hall, from the entry doors, is a large picture window. Ideal for the purpose.
:thumbup:"

TUT!   

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Eugene

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
Tay a windy, they bin doors.

Eug

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2014, 04:12:09 PM »

I'm going tomorrow, not aiming to meet up with anyone, much prefer the incognito effect.

Only incognito as you know the tax man is looking for you everywhere  :lol: 
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Deko

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
Watch out John ! I will find you even if you are wearing a cognito. :palm:

Offline philf

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
Phil,

I'm very sorry we missed each other. I was there by the big picture window which much to my surprise was the seating area for the cafe. I wore my Sthil hat with pride from about twenty past twelve until five minutes to one , but saw no one who was prepared to approach me  in spite of much advanced leering and winking. I did briefly speak to John Doubleboost  who clearly (and rightly) thought I was a nutter.

Whilst sat in the Caff I was earbent by a chap who if not a shoo-in for membership of the next British Olympic Boring team, was well in the running as a coach and mentor. Five Fiat Toplinos!!

Overall I enjoyed the show and bought a couple of bits and bobs, but I thought it a bit thin on the ground in terms of suppliers.

Again, sorry the meet didn't work; next year in Jerusalem perhaps. Or Brum. :wave:

Eug

Hi Eugene,

We must have passed you! At about 12:45 we thought maybe there may be someone opposite the exhibitor's entrance so walked through the cafe part.

I didn't spend much - 50p on 5 blocks of glass filled nylon offcuts and a genuine Myford faceplate (for my CNC 4th axis) for £10.  I wanted to buy some Boxford sized Dickson type toolholders but I couldn't find any.

I didn't know whether to be pleased that I saved £2 on two entries or to be peeved that the guy on the door thought I was a lot older than I am!

Chronos and Rotagrip weren't there this year and the Chester stand was a fraction of its usual size.

I don't know whether I'll bother next year- especially after the 2 mile queue to get in in the morning and then the 3 hour trip home.

Cheers.

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline krv3000

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2014, 05:17:40 PM »
hi all well me john mick and peter whent and i had a brill time its the furst time for me at one of them shows and i enjoyd it i got sum things the most exspencive was a sliding sqher for £5  thanks to peter for taking me dawn and mick and john for ther cumpany  :nrocks: :nrocks:

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2014, 06:04:26 PM »

…......
I don't know whether I'll bother next year- especially after the 2 mile queue to get in in the morning and then the 3 hour trip home.

Cheers.

Phil.

Phil,

3 hours? We drove up from East Manchester this afternoon and it was about 1.5 hours. There again if you drove over the M62 in rush hour I'm not surprised. If I ever manage to persuade the OH that she doesn't need a day in the spa and shops then maybe in future we can share the journey.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 06:23:34 PM »
Only takes me 1 1/2 hours in the Donald and that's from Nottingham.

Mind you probably take us longer tomorrow as Ketan is driving, can't drive on the meds I'm on because of my back [ official excuse]

Real excuse - If K10 is driving I can knock the £2 off the diesel bill  :thumbup:
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:32 PM »
I'm not going this year but if anyone gets a chance, could you find the name of the chap who sells the sterling engine kits on the Sterling Engine Society stand? I'll not be going and wanted one last year, walking out totally forgetting to pick it up! I just want to know if he can do one mail order and a name would be a good start! He has been there for the last 5 years I've been so I'm sure he'll be there this year. I'd appreciate it if anyone get chance to ask.

Enjoy the show.

Offline Jonfb64

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2014, 02:26:13 AM »
Had a good day but the concrete floors are a killer. Was good to meet Philf shame we missed Eugene. Wife said I spent too much but I dare to disagree :lol:
As others have said not as good as previous years for the trade stands but plenty of nice models to see.

have a great day those who are going Saturday or Sunday

Jon

Offline philf

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
Hi Gary,

We left at 3:30 hoping to miss the worst of the traffic but we were going nicely along the M62 when everything ground to a crawl. The signs above said 40 - we were lucky if we could manage 2! According to the radio there was a vehicle fire some miles ahead of us.

We eventually came off the M62 to find a quieter route but so did thousands of others.

When we left there was still an enormous queue towards Harrogate coming from the Wetherby direction.

Cheers.

Phil.

Phil Fern

Offline Eugene

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 05:42:38 AM »
I now know what Stevie Wonder did after he retired from singing; got a job as Traffic Manager at the Great North Showground!

It's a magnificent site with oodles of parking areas all beautifully laid out and maintained so it should be easy to ensure a rapid ingress of multiple traffic streams and avoid queuing. All it needed was a couple of marshals splitting the traffic off the tarmac drive into four or five streams and directing them to separate parking areas. But no, we fill one car park at a time, one vehicle at a time and let the traffic back up all through Harrogate and the surrounding district.  :doh: Mind you as a veteran of many Game Fairs I've seen even worse; he gets around that Stevie.

I bought a milling slide vice in as new condition from the Myford stand, a few chunks of steel plate and ally for (yet another) project, and tried to buy some carbide tool holders and tips but the chap couldn't take a credit card. There being no cash machines on site I'll order them off the internet. As a one time aero modeller I really admired some of the 'planes on show especially those still being worked on.

I'd go again but not make it a day trip from Mid Wales; too much driving. We hired a really lovely cottage about five miles away just recently, so I'd build the show into the programme and let The Management trawl the shoe shops in Harrogate for the day.

My super duper highly intelligent on-board computer and SatNav detected the queues on the 62 and took me an alternative route .... the one used by about 100,00 other vehicles all presumably equipped with the same bit of kit! Nightmare.

Phil, my bad.

Eug