Author Topic: In between project and Wheeling a front mudguard  (Read 8899 times)

Offline involutecurve

In between project and Wheeling a front mudguard
« on: May 06, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
Some may know from my introduction that I'm building a Centre Hub Steered Bike, I've been meaning to post some stuff here but been real busy of late, anyhow its great having these super clean custom,  bikes but they can be a pain to keep clean.

I needed a bike to use in rough weather and to give me some respite from the more complex CHS project, so I built this from a more or less scrap donor bike to mess about on, and just throw in the shed, washing it once or twice a year, it should be fun to ride as well, as you can see its pretty much finished but requires a front mudguard for the MOT, the front tyres real big, so I made one to to suit, however in order to do this I need a Wheeling machine so cobbled one this together from the scrap bin..........

"Engineering: Combining art & science to create artifacts from dreams"

Offline involutecurve

Re: In between project and Wheeling a front mudguard
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
Heres the Wheeling machine I used to make the mudguard...........

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:27:01 PM »
 :thumbup: Excellent job  :thumbup:

Always wanted to have a go at wheeling but never have had the opportunity  :(

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline involutecurve

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
I had a go about 30 yrs ago for 1/2 hour and cant remember what it felt like, but like you wanted to know, this is why I went this route, the mudguard is my first attempt at wheeling and to be honest its easy, start to finish the mudguard took less than an hour, I reckon I could do it in 40 mins, now I know the routine, or perhaps I just got first time lucky,  :ddb: Ill let you know after I use it again. :doh:

Offline dawesy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
Very nice. Is that a commercially available wheeling set up or is it home crafted?
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline Deko

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
Chester UK do them now, they may even take one to Harrogate !!!!

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline involutecurve

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
Its made from bits lying around in the workshop, some 4x2 box section, (Frame) an 18" length of scaffold tube, ( Roller holder) a foot of 6mm plate (multi unity me) a 6" dia offcuts of P20, (Anvil) a foot or so of 2" dia P20 (bottom rollers), 8" of 16mm lead screw with nut, a brass handle  from an old lathe or sumat, (adjustment) a few tig rods, some paint and a couple of hrs work, I put feet on it in order to clamp it to the bed of the miller, Ill probably remove them, its easy enough to just hold it in the bench vice, the only difficult part is the bottom rollers, however the curve is for clearance only, the forming is done by a small flat, I've made 3 rollers with differing flats and clearances, for upcoming jobs, these where turned in the CNC miller (vertical lathe :) ) with the tool being held in the vice.

HTH 

Shaun

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
Nice job, even nicer tool! Bike Yama XS 650?
 :D
Kjelle

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 03:57:55 PM »
Here is the one at princess auto.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/search/searchResults.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-6438143741297836536&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSort=numprop&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSort=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortProp=userReviewRating&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortProp=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortOrder=descending&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.docSortOrder=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=15&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.saveRequest=true&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.saveRequest=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=1&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=true&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=5&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.searchRequest.pageSize=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=true&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.saveRequest=+&question=english+wheel&_D%3Aquestion=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.search=+Search+&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FArchivedProductQueryFormHandler.search=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.search=+Search+&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fsearch%2FArticleQueryFormHandler.search=+&%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Ffilesystem%2FDocumentQueryFormHandler.search=+Search+&_D%3A%2Fpal%2Festore%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Ffilesystem%2FDocumentQueryFormHandler.search=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.search=Search&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.search=+&_DARGS=%2Fpal%2Finclude%2Fheader.jsp.searchForm

Offline micktoon

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »
 Hi Shaun , thanks for posting, very interesting and looks to have come out really well, the machine and the mudguard  :thumbup: :clap: . I had a quick go years back and I even have an Edwards wheeling machine readt for a renovation at some point, its not the big 42 inch one , I think its 3230 inch throat, I will post photo of it over the weekend.
   Cheers Mick

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 11:16:22 PM »
Nothing like a good wheelinrounYou've done an excellent job beating and wheelin that guard.

Did a bit back in days gone by building buses and coaches and some auto and vintage restoration work. its a dream watching shapes form in front of your eyes.

taking frustrations out pounding the mallet