Author Topic: When you think that you are doing the 'right thing'  (Read 9681 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
When you think that you are doing the 'right thing'
« on: May 08, 2014, 03:59:34 AM »
Got a brand new 275 x 2 x 32 HSS cut off saw blade (*) delivered yesterday for my Pedrazzoli cut off saw, so I decided to clean out its soluble oil tank and refresh it. Give the new blade a good start in life  :ddb:

Mixed up too much soluble oil, so decided to fill the Colchester Master 2500 cutting tank which I never re-filled having moved workshops. It takes a couple of gallons, so I topped up my bucket to two gallons and poured it in.

OK so why do we have this BIG puddle on the floor  :scratch:

... oh yes, at the last place I had had to shorten the tank as it was too close to a wall to come out otherwise - it only holds one gallon now  :bang: :bang: :bang:

. . quick trip outside to steal one of the wifes sacks of sawdust pellets she uses as goose bedding, tip it on the floor and disaster averted . . . spend next hour sweeping up and chasing pellets out from under things  :bugeye:

Still, now have coolant on the lathe - I've been getting by using a hand squirty thing, and coolant nicked from the CNC lathe up till now  :thumbup:

(* incidentally these blade cost huge sums - decent quality ones are upwards of £100 in the usual catalogues - I found a British firm making them and selling direct for £35 inc vat and they seem very good quality - CNC laser cut from HSS blanks then ground - if anyone is looking for cut off saw blades PM me and I'll send the details - support UK industry !!! )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Jonny

Re: When you think that you are doing the 'right thing'
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:04:30 PM »
Done that many a time thinking its too low when theres a blockage. Cant see tank unless pry lathe out with 5 ft crow bar, slash backs in the way.
Probably average 2 ltrs a day topping up, no leaks.

Put the broom over it the rest will evaporate in to the concrete.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:43:44 PM »
Hopefully I have pre empted that [ or is it pre emptied ? ] when I did my new lathe.
Coolant tank was in one foot with no good access. so moved it out and modified it into a cut down old oil cooled welder tank to drop on the floor, at the back of the footbrake.

Whilst i was chopping the tank about I decided to fit a level gauge.

Drilled two holes in the tank then cut three 6mm thick perspex bits on the laser followed by three gaskets and a steel outer cover. Shown before assembly left to right.

Once assembled and wafted with a Wilco rattle can it looks quite presentable.

Before anyone comments about it looking like an Italian flag, white coolant against white perspex, this machine is going to be running neat cutting oil so it shows up well.
John Stevenson

Offline micktoon

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:09 PM »
Nice work John , it took a second or two for it to click about the Italian flag lol, I was thinking is it not got a few colours in it  :lol:
  Cheers Mick.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:24:11 AM »
Very neat john

Looks like a 1930's Art Deco house with that overhanging flat roof :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
Hi there, Andrew,

I hope that you and yours are all well.

Would your cut-off saw get toothache cutting cast iron block?  (about 2" by 3".) 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »
Hi there, Andrew,

I hope that you and yours are all well.

Would your cut-off saw get toothache cutting cast iron block?  (about 2" by 3".)

Hi Pete, yes all doing well,

Cut off saw should eat your cast iron block pretty easily so long as the vice can hold it securely
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex