Author Topic: A Set of Wheels for Fanny  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Meldonmech

A Set of Wheels for Fanny
« on: May 20, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »
Hi Guys

I have been having problems with Fanny recently she has put on an amazing amount of weight. Fanny my trusty 3yr old crucible furnace. She has had a lining transplant of 1600c commercial refractory, and cannot be lifted or carried by one person any longer, my other half has assisted with this task, but never seems to be around when she is required. I have spent some time on the net looking what other guys have done, with trolly and carts, but I just don't have room in my garage come timber/ metal/paint/ come in handy store, foundry/ workshop. So I started to make a few sketches on the back of used envelopes, I rarely make any proper drawings, and decided I needed something that would easily propel Fanny with the minimum effort, and guide her into her spot in the garage.  May day bank holiday is a grand start for car booting in the area where I live and seems to produce the best bargains of the year. Spring seems to the time when everyone wants to have a clear out, so off went. I had been out several hours and made many purchases at a number of different locations, and was about to leave for home when I spotted a set of 70mm dia rugged swivel castors, good quality and condition. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but when I got home, the first thing I did was visit Fanny, amazingly the casters had a Rawlplug type fitting, which fitted perfectly in Fanny's little legs. I tightened them up, and took Fanny for walk round the Garden, I was delighted.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: A Set of Wheels for Fanny
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:23:15 PM »
Great luck, there Meldonmech! Stylish too....
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:19:29 PM »
Meldonmech
Very nice set up, love seeing the oil hook up. I burn oil also and love it, but I do not think the 1600° will stand up to oil burning hot. You can choke it back but to hear the roar and the heat coming off of it. I better stop before I talk myself in to melting. Looking GOOD
Nelson Collar

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:09:49 PM »
 Forgive me while  I don my health and safety hat but...

by using only three wheel you may have reduced the  cylinders stability  conciderabley. 

If you draw an imaginary triangle where the castors touch the ground you may find  that the edge of this triagle is inside the original footprint. (this will be worse when the castors align when moved).

Please be very careful how you move it. especially when hot

Bill
Bill

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »
Hi Bill

Thanks bill for your comments, I have already noticed it can be a little wobbly when setting off, and going over uneven areas.  The reason I used three legs was for stability when stationary, before I needed wheels.  I did have the four wheels, but that would have entailed re building the furnace. Fortunately I only move the furnace when it is cold, after it has cooked the jacket potatoes after shut down.

Cheers David