Author Topic: Hello from North Texas, USA  (Read 2559 times)

Offline blackcube

Hello from North Texas, USA
« on: May 26, 2014, 11:28:17 PM »
I actually registered on this board in 2009 after finding something that Bogstandard had posted while searching via Google.  I never posted as I've been a bit busy getting laid off, starting a business, moving from the city to the country, remodeling a couple of houses, raising three teen aged daughters and caring for my father as his health failed but I lurked a few times to glean some knowledge as I could find the time.  My plate has been full and my shop took a back seat to travails of life.  The business is established and has been good, one daughter is married and independent with two to go, the house still needs the remodeling completed, the shop still needs setting up properly and my father passed last fall.  So I'm trying to make a little time for me and my workshop as I integrate his tool collection into mine.

I have three lathes that range from an Atlas 6x18 to a South Bend 16x144, a pair of Clausing mills, a surface grinder, TIG/Stick/MIG welders, a couple of drill presses, a couple of hydraulic presses, heat treating ovens, air compressors, band saws, various smaller power tools and a 50 year collection of hand tools.  My lovely bride bought me a 9000 pound capacity 2 post car lift for Christmas last year so space is starting to get a bit slim in my shop.  I really never thought a 30'x60' shop building would fill up so quickly.  I have room to add on but haven't exactly worked up the nerve over how to approach my wife about me needing more space.

I have an extensive list of tools that I want to make so I've started several smaller projects to get started.  I'm a 60 year old retired industrial electrician who became an healthcare IT consultant and missed all the machinery and hands on action of my old career.  I never had experience as a machinist but I have learned a lot lurking in the forums and reading posts.  I've learned even more about what I don't know but i'm trying hard to correct that.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Hello from North Texas, USA
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:57 PM »
Wow blackcube what a shop!!! :thumbup:

Sounds like we have similar experiences (except for the shop equipment and space). Looking forward to reading about your projects!  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline golfpin

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:02:32 AM »
Hello all from Sunny South Africa,
am semi retired 70 year old motor mechanic /woodbe race car designer/welder/ industrial designer/general lay about/no good  do gooder [the tall ones opinion] spent 6 years in europe/uk in motor sport[66-72] generally wasted time  since then so old fashioned that I still prefer a slide rule and a pencil and drawing board! AND hand grind HSS not that well [failing eyesight that's my excuse].
 Really look forward to watching this forum .PS you will note my  errors andidiocy on a pc for which I aplogise.
Cheers Golfpin

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:05:07 AM »
Hi,

Welcome to MadModder, we would like to see some pics of your workshop.

Cheers David