Author Topic: Penny Farthing Bicycle  (Read 190724 times)

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
  • Machinist Extraordinaire
Re: Penny Farthing Bicycle
« Reply #300 on: February 02, 2013, 10:27:37 PM »
Got a few more nipples threaded today. Oh Yeah!!!

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #301 on: February 02, 2013, 11:00:56 PM »
Wesley

I know it's a tedious boring job but a few every day and first thing you know it will be time to put the wheel together.  :D :D

I keep watching and waiting.

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: February 17, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »
The last week or so I've been near death with a particularly nasty Man cold. Today is the first day I've felt like myself. I've spent the last couple hours out in my shop threading nipples. I'm half way there\o/ forty done forty left. Then I get to cut little wrench flats on each one.

~Wes~
Wesley P
A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright; but if it's dirty and dull it wont mater at all...

Offline micktoon

« Reply #303 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:27 PM »
Glad your feeling better Wes, ..............you might have just screwed too many nipples , ........................it could have been a case of nipple fever not man flu ?  ................ be careful lad  :thumbup:

Looking forward to the next photos .
   Cheers Mick.

Offline pepethefat

« Reply #304 on: February 17, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »
hey Powder Keg Wes, just a comment on the nipples.  after taking the time making flats on mine for my rear wheel I've re-evaluated the strategy.  I think what I'm going to do for the front (many many nipples) is to use a slit saw and just cut a notch in the end so that a flat screwdriver can be used to tighten the spokes. I envision making a little jig that holds 10 nipples at a time.
Of course, the flats look totally awesome(mine are little hexes)...so don't let me talk you out of it!
Glad you're back on the project...I'm hoping to get back to mine too.

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: February 17, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
Well I stuck with it today. I now have 76 threaded nipples\o/ I thought I had made five or six extra but the shop gnomes seem to have hid them:o( That and the 4 that got cross-threaded, I'm 4 short. I'll get a short piece of bronze on the way. In the mean time I'm going to start on a jig that will hold 4-5 at a time to mill the wrench flats on them.

I want flats on them so they can be adjusted in the future. Spokes stretch with use and need to be tightened up once in a while.

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline mnay

« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
Wes,
I watching your progress too.  Looking good
Mike in Salt Lake

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: June 14, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
I set up the CNC mill at work to machine little hex's onto all those nipples. I'm glad these are nearly done:o)

Everything is good here. I've been working on the house and our camper quite a bit. I need to get this project done and on the road though. It's time:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline philf

« Reply #308 on: June 14, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »
Wes,

Good to see you are back working on the Penny Farthing.

I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of you riding it before the end of the year!

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #309 on: June 14, 2013, 04:55:18 PM »
Glad to see you are still at Wes. I am anxious to see this one done.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
Sweet!

Back on it  :dremel:

:thumbup: 

Looking forward to seeing this one in action  :ddb:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #311 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »
Thanks everyone:o) I'm going to try and get the rims drilled this weekend. Then I can start on spokes. I still haven't decided how I'm going to cut them. I'm probably over thinking it like I do everything:o)

Stay tuned :wave:

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline Pete.

« Reply #312 on: June 20, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
You know, I actually saw a tall gent riding a penny farthing on the road yesterday, near South Kensington. It was really quite graceful to watch, in a grandfather-clock kinda way. I never thought I'd ever see one being used.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #313 on: June 20, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
It's nice to see some more progress Wes!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: June 23, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »
I know how everyone loves pictures of machined stuff :wave:  Here are the nipples that I have done so far. It feels good to be wrapping them up:o)

Earlier I had made a little drill guide to drill angled holes in the rims. Here it is in use:o)

It is working pretty good. I have about half the spoke holes drilled now\o/ I'll keep plugging away at these till they are done:o)

Thanks so much for watching:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
Cool!  :thumbup:  :clap:

Rhubarb?  :borg:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Powder Keg

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: June 23, 2013, 09:26:50 PM »
Rhubarb and weeds :lol: The Rhubarb needs to be moved. It's under my new Awning. The back yard is a mess from installing a new sewer line a couple years ago. I've been working on that space a little lately. I built an awning out of recycled stuff. It's not done yet but here it is. The lights still need to be wired in.

It will be my outside work area. My outside vise and Anvil will live there :D I almost have the stand done for my anvil. I'll post pictures of that soon. It was nice working out there today:o)

~Wes~
Wesley P

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #317 on: June 24, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »
I almost have the stand done for my anvil.
~Wes~

I thought ALL outdoor anvils were mounted on either a tree stump, or if don't have one conveniently located, a section of tree trunk from a large tree. (That's how they are all over the American South)  :D :D :D

Offline karlas

« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2013, 04:46:56 PM »
Hi  Wes,

I have been reading this thread today, and many times I have a hard time beleaving your
enginuity in solving things ........... astonishing  ........... excellent work ..........

You are a GENIUS and a Jack of all trades .......

Karl
Practice makes Perfect

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
Glad to see your picking it up again I've always wanted one there was a bike shop in victoria bc that sold them back in the 60's.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #320 on: January 13, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
Hi Wes, I'm a recent newbie here and I've spent a good while this evening reading this thread and marvelling at your problem solving skills.

Really impressed with your Penny Farthing project so far and look forward to seeing the finale when you get more done.....OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Bishop

« Reply #321 on: January 15, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »
I just found this post and read it from the start. Bloody amazing work, that level of craftsmanship I can only hope to achieve one day. I'll be visiting the post on a regular basis from now on. Thanks

Shawn

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #322 on: July 29, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »
Wes, you have not posted for several months. Has your Penny Farthing ground to a halt? I am sure that I am not alone in hoping to see this masterpiece completed. Please let us know what is happening with it.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #323 on: July 29, 2014, 06:28:23 PM »
Hi Norman , You are not alone   :coffee: I have been wondering too, Hope you are ok Wes and have a back log of posts to put up soon  :thumbup:

Cheers Mick.