Author Topic: An Electric Bicycle  (Read 69632 times)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: An Electric Bicycle
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2014, 11:03:41 PM »
The part I want to see is you riding off into the sunset aboard your electric bike!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
Ain't it typical. I had the bike apart ready to paint it and then the long over-due rain arrives.

I've been making the throttle lever instead. Couldn't find any good designs to rip-off on Google, so I ended up taking apart an old RC transmitter to see how that was built inside. It didn't give me any good ideas but it did contain some limited-arc potentiometers, so I quickly drew up this mess and built it.

It's ugly, and I probably could've done better, but I didn't want to spend too much time on it.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2014, 01:54:13 PM »
Looks good to me.

Did you consider more of a motorcycle style throttle (rotating the grip)?

Seems like it would be a natural match for a potentiometer.
Steve

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »
Just took the bike for another short ride to try record some (the final!) footage. I forgot to put a spanner in the back and the goofy camera mount i'd made started to droop (i've put a huge weight on the front of it, to hopefully dampen the camera from wobbling, since I hate seeing that jiggly footage that most people get in vehicle videos!), and so I couldn't tighten the nuts down. So I started heading back and then the nut on the drive roller came loose!

Had to push the bike back up the hill home. The camera mount also interferes with the rear brake cable and was lightly applying the brakes so that was no fun. I said i'd loctite the nut on but forgot to do it before taking the bike for that earlier successful test ride, and assumed that maybe I had gotten the thread handedness correct. I was wrong!

Anyways it's getting late, its nearly 8:30 and the sun is setting. I guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow to really test it. And hopefully regular retaining compound (loctite 641) will work with the threads.

Oh, in fact, I should probably put a second nut on and jam them together. Dunno why I didn't think of that earlier...

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2014, 03:28:13 PM »
Looks good to me.

Did you consider more of a motorcycle style throttle (rotating the grip)?

Seems like it would be a natural match for a potentiometer.

I did, but there's not enough space on the handlebars with the grip shifts for the sprockets.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »
Well that was an adventure.

Got everything set up and left the house while it was sunny. Had a good ride till it started to rain after about maybe 15 minutes. Rather than head back home like I should've, I decided it looked like it'd only be a light shower and headed on to an old station on the cycle path, to take shelter under a bridge there.

Anyways my sister phones and says she's been locked out, so it's time to head home since the rain was only getting heavier and heavier. It was a full blown thunderstorm at this point and I didn't want to end up riding through mud and deep puddles.

I'd brought a whole bunkle of tools in the back box, including some electric tape. So I taped everything up to keep the water out and rode on through the thunderstorm, which was really alot of fun!

(The video this still is from is really very shakey. I've still got no idea how people manage to take stable footage on vehicles! Maybe that's why people go nuts for those gopro cameras)

Anyways after a bit the motor started to cut out. Turns out when sealing everything i'd neglected to tape up the most important thing, the speed controller. I disconnected it, which was the smart thing to do. Although after pushing the bike for a bit the motor started to really stall despite being disconnected. So I tried reconnecting it, which was the stupid thing to do. The famous blue smoke escaped... had to push the bike about a mile and a half home since I also need to adjust the rear derailleur, since on anything but the lightest and heaviest gear settings makes the chain skip. Also the wet made my jeans shrink!

Here's how it looked after taking the shrink wrap off. A fair bit of water made it in and must've shorted something out.

It's got a hell of a lot of little transistors. There's 3 layers of boards and two of them are transistors.

The only obvious fault I can see is that broken lead on the capacitor. I'd be surprised if it still worked after replacing the capacitor though, but it's probably worth a try.

When I was pushing it the rain eased off. A couple of passing cyclists that'd also gotten caught in the rain took interest in the bike. Turns out one of them used to be an engineer, and said it looked like the kinda thing he used to build. He even asked me if I was an engineer, which was flattering!

Kinda disappointed I didn't get a chance to take some photos of some other interesting landmarks in the area, for the video. There's a few viaducts on the cycle track and some interesting old buildings. Either way I should have enough footage to complete the video.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2014, 01:02:16 PM »
Simon, we spray a product on ESCs here called Corrosion X for flying with amphibious planes. I wouldn't be surprised if you could fix your ESC. Interesting to see the guts.

Great pix!
Steve

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #182 on: August 08, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »
Corrosion X

That sounds good. I was thinking about how i'd keep water out of it while at the same time letting air reach the heatsink to cool it.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »
Editing the video now. Took a while to record and process the audio, which is my least favourite job. Ended up with 40 minutes of audio to pick through.

But i've just realised while editing the video that i'd totally neglected to talk about the stuff i'm actually using. Motors, etc. So I suppose i'll have to record a little bit more, as much as I'd rather not...

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »
Looking forward to the premiere!  :clap:
Steve

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »
Alright! Video finally uploaded! Still processing the HD versions though I suppose.

(probably better to watch it on the website itself, since you get a bigger frame)

Yeah thanks for the help, everyone. It's been a long (and weird) project. And apologies vtsteam for getting your name wrong 100 times, even after I tried correct myself in the video!

Bit of a weird video to edit though. I forgot to take alot of photos of the over-all progress, so I hope it isn't too confusing to follow. I didn't even realise that i'd neglected to take a photo of the whole bike until I was editing it.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
Hah, that's weird. at 8m42s the fast forward footage goes in reverse. It's playing forward in the editing software. The sound also cuts out in most of the fast forward clips. I wonder if i'm running out of memory or something, having low memory on my old computer used to cause all kinds of problems with Adobe Premiere.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »
Wow, fantastic Simon!!! That really shows the tons of work you put into the bike -- even though I followed along here on the thread, it's amazing to see all of the work in the video.

And the video itself is superb -- as was your helmet one. Production values are really professional. I didn't happen to notice any of the reverse video, or any other problems you mention -- I was too absorbed in the video itself. It's just really fine work all around, and I would think super interesting to just about anybody. You should be proud of your project.  Thumbs up!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :beer:
Steve

Offline philf

« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2014, 04:16:16 AM »
Super video Simon.

:thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

Thanks for letting us share your project.

If you're going to add up how much a job costs I suppose it can be better to do it afterwards - if you knew how much it was going to cost before you may have never started!

:beer:

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2014, 05:47:47 AM »
Excellent Video Simon - I've enjoyed the thread and I enjoyed your ride  :thumbup:

Just a minor comment: be careful using your bobbin sander for wood followed by metal. The hot sparks from the metal can (and do) ignite the wood dust. Ask me how I know  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2014, 06:56:15 AM »
Andrew's warning should be heeded. I had it happen with a belt sander at I school where I worked, I dismantled the guarding in double quick time to get to the fire! Fortunately no harm was done, I don't think that I would have been forgiven if I had burnt the school down, plus I would have been out of a job.
Great video Simon and congratulations on the bike.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2014, 08:34:48 AM »
If you're going to add up how much a job costs I suppose it can be better to do it afterwards - if you knew how much it was going to cost before you may have never started!

Yeah, when I first started doing garage stuff I went all out calculating the future price. I'd lump it in with 'planning' in general. If I let myself, i'll plan forever and get sick of the project idea before I even start making it. Now I just get the plan 'good enough' and then dive in.

Plus it's never that accurate since you can't anticipate things not working and needing to change the plan!

Excellent Video Simon - I've enjoyed the thread and I enjoyed your ride  :thumbup:

Just a minor comment: be careful using your bobbin sander for wood followed by metal. The hot sparks from the metal can (and do) ignite the wood dust. Ask me how I know  :lol:

I did sweep the dust out from inside, but it was just by coincidence. I'd never considered that sparks might be able to ignite the settled dust...

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
Simon

That was an excellent project and also an excellent video production and edit I have enjoyed being along for the ride.  :D :) :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »

Simon, what a great project, and superb video. You have been rewarded with a motor bicycle you can be proud of due to your efforts.
                                 Well Done
                                                      Cheers David

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #194 on: August 13, 2014, 05:13:42 AM »
excellent :)

Bill