Author Topic: Grinding setup ideas?  (Read 3853 times)

Offline caskwith

Grinding setup ideas?
« on: May 30, 2014, 02:51:03 PM »
I posted this on another forum I frequent but I thought I would also get good responses here due to the lathe tool part of the question.

When I finally get this project finished I will have one of the 900W Axminster slow running grinder with a wheel on one side and a multitool belt grinder on the other. The primary purpose of this setup is for grinding HSS lathe tools but I would also like to get back into a bit of knife tinkering, hence the addition of the belt grinder.
 My question though is how should I set things for the lathe tools. I have a choice of two grinding wheels that came with the grinder, a white 120grit alox wheel or a 60 grit grey wheel. Which would be best for fast and efficient grinding of lathe tools? I was thinking the 60 grit, but I also wondered if it might be better to use the 120 grit and then to use the belt grinder to rough out the lathe tools, would this be faster? If so what kind of belts are best for this purpose?
 Oh and tool finish isn't too important as I always finish on the Tormek anyway.

Offline Manxmodder

Re: Grinding setup ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:28 PM »
Aluminium oxide belts will cope with HSS but blue Zirconia belts or ceramic grain belts are better still.

I find 60 grit belts remove stock pretty quickly.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up