Author Topic: Abuse of an old drill  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Abuse of an old drill
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
Not really a project, just me tinkering last night.

But you never know where it may lead  :ddb:

I was looking at some old drills that I should really throw out to free some space, but you know how it goes, they are still cluttering the place.

I thought it was about time for one of them to die..... :ddb:

My friends have often called me mad, the professor that is as I'm often butchering or fabricating something.
I believe my mother first noticed it one xmas, muttering something like "that's the last xmas present you'll get" or some such blathering...

Testing speeds, this one has a two speed gear box so was sort of doomed really. Gave approx 2800 & 1100 rpm.

Pulled the motor section off with the idea at getting to the gears. But for the life of me I couldn't get the chuck off. It was stuck fast, no amount of banging, wedges etc was going to remove it. Getting to the point of abandonment, and traveling to the big green box outside,  I decided to give it one last bash.

Lathe it off, didn't really think this would work, but hey, if you don't try......

Went quite well really, so onwards with a little more destruction

Well, even after machining the chuck down this far there was still no sign of how it was fixed on? No matter it's gone now  :lol:

What struck me was how easy it was to machine, ok it wasn't soft material but the carbide tip even machined the jaws down as it was going along.

I've no idea where I'm going with this, something with come to me. Even if it sits in the drawer for a while  :ddb:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:50:51 PM by Darren »
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Abuse of an old drill
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
Darren

Did you try left hand thread.

Just asking

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 01:32:06 PM »
Nope..... :doh:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »
Just had a thought,

If it was a left hand thread it would have prob come undone when I lathed it ?

And, and, and, it it was, and it didn't, then it was never gonna, not with the punishment I gave it on the lathe  :)

But yes, I overlooked that one Stew  :doh:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:39:26 PM »
Speaking of left hand threads guess what I found at the scrap yard today a 7/8 whit left hand tap

Any one want it ?????

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »
You just keep it in your shop Stew, within the next 50 years when no-one has asked to use it, you can sell it on eblay.

Darren,

I think hand drill chucks are removed by opening up the jaws, and looking down inside, you should see a locking screw. Remove that and the chuck should just screw off.

Bogs

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »
No screw in this one John, no flats on the shaft either,

It just seems to be part of the shaft, I realise that can't be right, it just seems that way.  :scratch:

Offline websterz

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
I have the exact same tach...love it! I tested it against the big K&T horizontal where I used to work and it was accurate to within +/- 15 RPM no matter where I set the mill. Most impressive, especially for a $20.00 Ebay gadget!  :clap:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
Yes it seems to work quite well. I bought mine when I was having trouble with my old mill. It had no speed chart and the number of belt positions was mind boggling. I had no idea what speeds I was using.

I think it was about £7, £12 with shipping. Very cheap for what it does.   :)