Author Topic: Lotus C-01 Motorcycle  (Read 11482 times)

Offline Manxmodder

Lotus C-01 Motorcycle
« on: June 13, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »
I just thought I would share this with you all.
Lotus are to produce a limited edition of their 200bhp V twin C-01 Motorcycle.

Link to Lotus website:  http://www.lotus-motorcycles.com/

Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Lotus C-01 Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
That is a cool motorcycle

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:31:24 AM »
Have you seen the Ronax 500? 500cc 2stroke motoGP replica

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »
That is a cool motorcycle

Oh that is beautiful, it really is !  The BRG is mine...
As my missus would say...  In your dreams.   :loco: :loco: :loco:

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline bp

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
At the risk of upsetting people, the Lotus effort looks more like the crazed doodlings of a bored 14 year old.  Not impressed.  Maybe Lotus should stick to bad F1 cars.  Colin Chapman would be spinning in his grave.
The Ronax looks better!
cheers
Bill

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
At the risk of upsetting people, the Lotus effort looks more like the crazed doodlings of a bored 14 year old.  Not impressed.  Maybe Lotus should stick to bad F1 cars.  Colin Chapman would be spinning in his grave.
The Ronax looks better!
cheers
Bill

Have to agree with you.

A triumph of fantasy over function. Sure as hell couldn't ride the damn thing ..

Looks like a rather gaudy trilobite ....  :palm:

BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 04:18:32 AM »
Ah come on you blokes. you probably said the same about bikes that looked like the Ronax in comparison with the Norton.

And hurumphed about electric start.

Like your fathers did about telescopic forks and swinging arm suspension (what's wrong with girders and rigid rear end?)

Those Lotusses (Lotusi?) look beautiful. I would love one even though I could no longer scrunch down to ride it (not to mention the fear factor).

And it's British design. Italians, eat your hearts out!

Jim

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
Good day Jim,

I couldn't agree more !  Like you say, its a dream machine.
I'm too old to even consider riding one, but yes, its British and we poms should be proud of that...

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
The Ronax looks better!
cheers
Bill

Have to agree with you.

A triumph of fantasy over function. Sure as hell couldn't ride the damn thing ..

Looks like a rather gaudy trilobite ....  :palm:

BC

Agreed, looks far too slippery to me! I thought that twin shocks were old hat as well?!

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
Wouldn't look quite as sleek with lights and a number plate on the back.

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline one_rod

• Chesterfield, Derbyshire.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »
Have you seen the Ronax 500? 500cc 2stroke motoGP replica

Ye gods, that thing's a road bike!
Have you ever tried riding a race-tuned 500cc two stroke on the roads?

I have, and it's one of those experiences you are glad to have done once and survived, but would probably never want to do again...  :bugeye:

one_rod.

"A season ticket for the one way ride..."

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 10:44:53 PM »
Oh God Ive just wet me pants,  :ddb:  :ddb:   :ddb:   :drool:

John
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline fcheslop

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
What wrong with Girders and no suspension???? :D :D :D
History is scarcely capable of preserving the memory of anything except myths

Offline Lykle

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
I find this a very interesting design. It completely changes the current design language for the motor cycle and that to me is always a good thing.
For me this connects back to when the introduced the Elise. That completely changed the way extruded aluminium was used in cars and to me was a real breakthrough. Let's see if this is just such a breakthrough.
Although in this design, I do wonder where my knees are supposed to go. Being heated by the radiator air?
Lykle

Design, Build and Enjoy life.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 08:53:40 AM »
The Ronax looks better!
cheers
Bill

Totally agree, production twin shocks went out in 1980 with Kawasaki Unitrak, 81 with Suz and Honda then the rest followed within two years.
Look at that fork rake just everything about it seems a publicity stunt with no R&D.

Looks good though, just for the collectors.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:19 AM »
If my memory serves me right Yamaha were the first Japanese manufacturer to sell bikes with a monoshock suspension system in the 1970's....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
production twin shocks went out in 1980 with Kawasaki Unitrak
I have  an 1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1 (KZ 750 R1 in some countries) and it's a productionline twinshock.
About the lotusbikes and the other racingbike pictured I can see that there is beauty in the lines and less drag from the wind with the fairings all over, but I prefer more naked bikes myself.
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »
Monoshock have been around 100+ years, HRD Vincent in the 1940's same as the Yammy/Tilkens idea. NSU 1909 along with whats regarded as the first Ochio Lungo 1909 all same designs as the Yam.

Without looking it up a Czech called Tilkens tried to sell the idea to CZ late 60's they declined then Suzuki were offered in 71 they declined and Yamaha took it on in 71. First Yammy production 1975 with the YZ some 69 years after Ochio Lungo and NSU. Yamaha dropped the idea for 1982 following the other three.
Modified CZ with Citroen car damper late 60's
The only benefit is one adjustment over twin shocks, though regardless of what Wiki says twin shocks could run 13 1/2" rear by 79.

The true single shockers ie Unitrak 1980, Suzuki copy 1981 with fullfloater and Honda Prolink 1981.
Had one of these when first came out in 80, 81 the same http://p1.bikepics.com/2012/06/01/bikepics-2409231-800.jpg Got original piccies.

Whats interesting is todays suspension marvels were all created by 1911. Reverse the Stafford made ASL air idea or PV, no one recently invented the idea.

Offline bp

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »
My lack of appreciation is based on more than the twin shock rear suspension, which is one of the few things I don't really have a problem with, although mono shock could be better.  The things I really dislike are.....

1/  The rake of the front forks appears to be based more on a straight line motorcycle (drag bike) than anything that's intended to go round corners.
2/  Despite the apparent effort to create a modern motorcycle, it still uses telescopic forks, albeit new and high quality.  No attempt has been made at "alternative" front suspension/steering, ie hub centre steering, "Fior" type suspension
3/ The blurb talks about a 200BHP V twin.  A V twin engine is close to the ideal engine layout for a motorcycle, slim and can be light.  Yet the bodywork looks to my eye as though it's covering up something more bulbous than a V twin, unless the designer has not achieved the potential benefits.
4/  Chain drive on a modern road bike?  Obviously chain drive on a racing bike is sensible, for changing/optimising gearing etc.  Not on a road bike though, even with todays chains, they still need adjustment, maintenance, lubricating on a regular basis.

So for what it's worth, this appears to be either, a cosmetic exercise of repackaging existing designs, or a cosmetic exercise designed to suit the collectors who may imagine that it's of some value.

I think Colin Chapman would be spinning in his grave
cheers
Bill

Offline bp

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 10:03:32 PM »
My better half, who has some considerable motorcycle experience, and who is more artistic than this little black duck, has just seen this and her comment was "URGH!!! it looks like a suitcase with wheels, how could you possibly ride it stretching out like that, with your hands so far apart.  HORRIBLE"
So it's not just me!!
cheers
Bill