Author Topic: My go at mill mods including I-Gaging scales  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Noitoen

My go at mill mods including I-Gaging scales
« on: June 21, 2014, 03:25:00 AM »
I've had a Optimum F45 for a long time and after my little "lab" rebuild, I've started a few mods tools to help getting the job done easier.

First, I installed a power feed to the X axis with a dog clutch and auto stop.

Offline Noitoen

Re: My go at mill mods including I-Gaging scales
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 03:35:19 AM »
Next, I installed a motor to the Z axis replacing the column's crank. To get total travel, I had to turn the crank almost a 100 times. Both motors are normal 3 phase so I installed a common VFD with a little PLC to control the automatic selection of the movements. Since I only move one axis at a time, the PLC automatically changes a relay to select the correct motor, respective speed reference and limit switches.

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:55:26 AM »
Went on to install 4 I-Gaging scales with a custom designed and built interface board for the Android DRO project from Yurie. I use 2 scales on the Z axis since the DRO can add/subtract the 2 and so, the tool hight will always be correct. When I designed the circuit board, I included 2 different sockets for the scales so that I could use the original cables or custom made ones. I'm glad I did since I had some noise issues with the cheap USB type cables that came with the scales. I replaced them with some better quality 4 core screened cable, soldered it directly to the scales board and used some adhesive aluminium tape to screen the gages plastic enclosure. The connectors I used are 4 pin mini-din connectors. I also included a battery backup supply to the scales in case of power failure.

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 04:04:33 AM »
Since I bought a cheap tablet for the purpose, I also use it as a digital level so, to have some square edges to use as a level and hang it on a moveable position, I made a custom base for it.

If anyone need more information on the project, I will be glad to assist.

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:20:26 AM »
Forgot to post a picture of the angle gauge software. I've found it to be quite accurate with 0,1º resolution. Since the tablet is screwed down to a square plate, the application allows for automatic calibration.