Author Topic: This tractor is killing me  (Read 6087 times)

Offline ieezitin

This tractor is killing me
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
Hello lads..

I have been struggling with my mower for the past month, the electrics shorted and every time I pulled the deck switch to engage the blades it would blow the fuse, finillaly I just straight wired it which solved that particular problem but left me agitated.

So the other evening zipping around my yard cutting grass the deck started to shudder and smoke, through investigation the one bearing housing that holds the shaft for the blade was loose, so out came the spanners and hammers to have a look-see, its terminal…

On the bench, I removed the shaft from the housing, discovered one bearing exploded and balls must have pinged everywhere, had a challenging time to separate the inner race from the shaft as it had started to fuse itself to the spindle, so got all that done then off to the  bearing store for new parts.

Started to install the new bearings and discovered this…..

I was livid, this thing landed on my exposed last nerve and was beating on it with a 2x4 with a nail in the end of it.

Ok. I plundered the steel rack looking for material to fix this thing, the thought of dealing with sears to purchase parts or trudge through Ebay just annoys me, so fixing it is then.

Should have done by tomorrow will keep you posted.

Anthony.

If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: This tractor is killing me
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 01:40:08 PM »
Anthony, I can't remember if you're in the US or not. If you are, http://www.jackssmallengines.biz/index.cfm in Maryland has parts for most any lawn mower. I had to replace the blade spindle towers on my Murray for the same reason.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
Chuck.. i am in the US and thanks for the link, i may need it as you will see its turning to crap... im in MD too.. nice.

So.. im off making the spindle housing.

Here is the vitals.. always do a sketch.

Making the top of the spindle housing, through thinking this out and since the two pipes fit nicely together I don't have to worry about the overall length, the shaft has two shoulders and when i slide them into each other it will find its own length and  will weld when there seated.

But it all went wrong. while placing the two shafts together there was a lump or gyration while turning the shaft, that then lead me to identifying the spindle is bent.

Bollocks......

Ok .. ill fix it....   so i am now forced to screw with the spindle. run out of time tonight will continue tomorrow.

:(.

Anthony.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
Anthony, frustrating as it is when you want to just mow, I applaud your making a new spindle. It's just cool that you're doing that, rather than ordering a replacement. Nothing wrong with the latter, but what you're doing is much more interesting!    :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »
VT

ill build anything, but i have to say this spindle may not work, i am running out of time so next week i will purchase a new housing just in case, i am going to make two more spindle housings and replace the originals as they are better in construction.

well i have started on the spindle, i am chopping off both ends and i will make a slug for the middle.

A couple of shots I forgot to send and a couple on the spindle.

Now i have started on the spindle  rebuild....

i need a 7/6-20 nut for the mandrel..

Parting off the shaft robbing the ends..

More later..

Anthony.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 05:13:08 PM »
Well.... Ah hard rain fell, everywhere I turned on this project I hit problems, some of my own doing.

Here is the chopped off spindle, i needed to hold it in the chuck to work the bearing end so I stuck a 7/16-20 tap init and that's why I needed the nut.

Chopped off the other end, the bearing shoulder was bent so it was my intention to turn down and put a collar on there Locktite it then turn down to size again. if you notice I center drilled the end of the stub for a live center, the drill penetrated through to the hole drilled on the other side, that's the threaded hole to accept the locking bolt that holds the blade on, dam thing was drilled through in about 1-1/4'' i never realized it was so deep, this was my fault for not checking.

Ok.. all glued on while its setting i will make a start on the other end.

5/8 - 11 rod. its smimular in OD and fits nicely in the original shaft....... all looking ok.

Then the straw that broke the back.... i neded to drill and tap into the stub, there was not enough meat left for the drill to penertrate without ripping off the the thin wall i left.  My fault really i never paid to much attention to dimensions, I know better.

Well nothing ventured nothing gained.... I will use the spindle tower I made, i am going to purchase a new complete factory made tower and i will buy a new spindle extra, so i halved repaired it.

Anthony.