Author Topic: Using Harold Hall’s Deluxe Grinding Table and jigs  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Using Harold Hall’s Deluxe Grinding Table and jigs
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:57:38 AM »
 With the help of my buddy Todd, I have completed Harold Hall’s Deluxe Grinding Table as described in his books. I have also completed the lathe tool jig and round tool jig and will make the drill jigs when I return from vacation.
If you have built this table, I would like to see pictures/descriptions of your set ups and how you use your table. I have not completed my setup yet. I purchased a new bench grinder and replaced the standard grey wheels with a diamond cup for carbide and a white aluminum oxide straight cup for HSS.  The guards over the standard wheels need to be modified to cover the new cups, and my table needs to be mounted, so I have not used the table or grinder yet.
I am also interested in seeing any methods of mounting a diamond dressing tool on the table to dress the white wheel. Todd kindly gave me a diamond dresser that is mounted on a ½” dia. x 1 ½” shank and I need to design and build a jig for it.
I am not the greatest machinist in the world, and I started this table early in my experience level, so the fit and finish isn’t pretty. When I visit Todd the next time, I hope to have him grind the parts of the table and my attempts at tool jigs, and when that’s done, I’ll post pictures.
In the mean time, I hope to see lots of pictures and techniques posted here so myself and others can learn from them, so TIA!
Chuck
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:05:25 PM by Chuck in E. TN »
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: Using Harold Hall’s Deluxe Grinding Table and jigs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
 You talked me into pic’s of my mess:
http://s571.photobucket.com/user/chucketn/library/
Chuck in E. TN

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
It does'nt look bad I made the scriber for marking degrees along with a few changes as it went along.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:02:22 PM »
My knobs on the table aren't graduated, as I haven't built the dividing head, yet. Had to get this trip out of the way before starting my casting phase.
I do think I'll treat myself to a digital protrator jobbie to set the table up with.
Chuck

Chuck in E. TN

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
 I am building Harold Hall’s Drill grinding jigs from his book on Tool and Cutter Sharpening. The small drill jig is made of 2 square blocks that have a 90° V milled in them corner to corner. How do I set up to cut the V with a regular milling cutter? I am trying to use my mill vise with its rotating base, holding a 3” mill vise, holding a 2” machinist vise, holding the block.
I’ve set the block to be milled in the 2” vise level with its base, and mounted the 2” vise at 45° in the 3” vise. I then mounted the 3” vise in the mill vise at 45°. That puts the plane of the V parallel to the mill table. I would think that rotating the mill vise to 45°would align the V with the y axis and I’d be ready to cut, but it doesn’t look right. What am I missing?
I can take a picture of my setup if necessary, and post a picture of the jig, also.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 06:38:47 AM »
Chuck..

I am trying to visualize your set up try and take a picture and lets see...

BTW.. thanks for the lead on the mower supply store in MD, they happen to be just down the street from me, I ordered my parts and were pretty reasonable on price.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.