Author Topic: Hello From SoCal  (Read 6439 times)

Offline usn ret

Hello From SoCal
« on: April 05, 2009, 02:37:32 AM »
T'was looking for the end of the internet, quit looking when I found this site.  Retired Navy Aviation Maintenance 26 yrs. I got to live in Japan and Spain and visit every major land mass on the globe. Began hobby? machining after retirement taking a classes at the local community college.  Got to be the  teachers aide for a time allowing me unfettered access to the machine lab at just about any time.  I had a key and the alarm code, lucky me. Over the years I have gone from a 12 x 36 Atlas/Craftsman lathe to a 13 x 40 Jet belt drive lathe and from a cobbed together mill/drill to a 35 yr old  low-mileage 9 x 42  Hartford machine. It has since been upgraded to xy CNC, life is good. Also have drill press, sanders, grinder, gas & wire feed welder and assorted power and hand tools.  Main project right now is re-engineing a TR7 DHC to a 3.1L Chevy V6. 1/2 finished, I keep getting interrupted by people giving  me  $$$$ to build this or modify that. I really dislike mertic threads!!!$$$$  Allows me to pay for new bit & pieces  now and then.  Wife calls the garage/shop the other woman. :dremel:
Cliff
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

bogstandard

Re: Hello From SoCal
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 03:19:15 AM »
Welcome Cliff.

If you are into projects, then this is the place to be. Almost anything can be shown on here. It seems, the more outrageous the project, the better the lads like it.

Pull up a car seat, and park your bum for a while.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 04:25:52 AM »
Welcome aboard Cliff I think you'll have fun her watch out for  :proj:

When you get sorted some pics of your projects would be welcome.

Cheers
 :beer:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:35:44 AM »
Hi Cliff, doesn't sound like you have retired at all, but having loads of fun instead  :thumbup:

welcome to the forum  :ddb:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:55:26 AM »
Cliff,

I see a majority of the Brittish lads have welcomed you already. They wake up way before we do over here.  :)

Nice to see another Coloinal join the the group. (inside joke)  :D

See you are all set with machinery, now like it was mentioned  :worthless: , so have at it.

Oh by the way you'll probably get  :proj: because  :mmr:  now that you've joined the  :borg:

Again a warm welcome.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 10:11:03 AM »
Hi Cliff,

Welcome to the collective   :borg:.

Sounds like you have a nicely equipped shop. I have seen a few TR7 engine conversions running around. I came real close to buying one (just a stock one). Lets see some pics of it!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »
Welcome aboard Cliff,

Would love to see some pics of the TR7 conversion, unfortunatly we don't have too many left over here, So Cal is the right climate for them.

David H
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 07:05:44 PM »
Late to the party...... Hi Cliff  :wave:

I've been wandering round and finally found your intro :) 

You sound like you have as Darren said "loads of fun"!  Little projects are good to keep the head working (even if like me you don't get them finished quickly ::) )

TR7!!!!  :bugeye:  I haven't worked on one of them for a while.... Is it the Triumph we (the Brit's) remember? I know that some times the models were named differently for the other countries.... It'll be interesting if you could post a few pics  :thumbup:

As has been said, take a seat and join in.... We the collective  :borg: don't bite  :D

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 03:46:41 AM »
Hi Cliff!  :wave:

Big welcome from Derbyshire UK.

It`s nice `ere.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Online Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »
TR7!!!!  :bugeye:  I haven't worked on one of them for a while.... Is it the Triumph we (the Brit's) remember? I know that some times the models were named differently for the other countries.... It'll be interesting if you could post a few pics  :thumbup:

Ralph,

As far as I know, the only TR7 sold here in the states was the Triumph.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:30:31 PM »
Just wondered.... You do have some motors with the same name that are different to the ones here though.... I'm sure of it!  :scratch:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:06:30 PM »
Just wondered.... You do have some motors with the same name that are different to the ones here though.... I'm sure of it!  :scratch:

Ralph.

Ummmm.... yes Ralph,  they seem to have the steering wheel mounted in the glove box! :med:
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »
Welcome Cliff,  I have had a few Triumphs myself but not a TR7, had a Herald (ha ha), a little Spitfire and its big sister a GT6  MKIII.

We have enough members spread around to have a good chance of someone on here most of the day.

From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline usn ret

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 10:32:50 PM »
Guys, I appreciate the warm welcome and hope to be able to make some worthwhile inputs and contributions as we move along. I suppose the TR7 will fall into  :proj:   Right now it takes a back seat  [ I forgot TR7s don't have back seats] to projects that are making a little cash.  The toughtest project I have completed to date in a falling block single shot rifle chambered in .22 Hornet with a heave target barrel. Will try post pics soon of both the TR and the rifle soon. I don't build a lot of gizmos and gadgets for myself.  Most of my builds are for car guys, one of them a Formula Ford builder.
Where is the smiley with sunglasses for us Southern California guys?? FWIW I spent most of yesterday going thru the archives.  A lot of good posts and info.  It is good to see that no one takes the good natured ribbing/heckling too serious :D :beer:
Cliff
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:43:19 PM by usn ret »
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:29:53 AM »
Hi Cliff!

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for the delay!

TR7 convert very cool!

I get to play with some of the Formula Fords myself.. mostly its doing onsey twosey work for a race shop I work at on some weekends here in Florida. They get chassis shipped over here from England to have crash damage repaired, as the owner of the shop (Mike) is a very skilled old school taught... well.. all around.. mechanic? From re-brazing together a old British Formula type race car chassis, to re-welding... YES.. WELDING... a Magnisium transaxle or 5.. to re-engineering some suspension for legacy Formula 440s that are now 500s..  Most of the open wheel stuff comes through there at some point or other.

Love to see some of the formula car stuff you work with! I try to post pics of some of the car stuff I get involved with from time to time.. but mostly I have posted some of the old Iron from England I run across.

Anyhow Welcome to the Forum!!

Scott/SPiN
SPiN Racing