Author Topic: Gluing Metal Back On !!!!!  (Read 6621 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Gluing Metal Back On !!!!!
« on: July 05, 2014, 05:26:55 AM »
Weather rather foul here today so time to catch up on a few inside jobs. I am still trying to get a suitably rigid mounting for my Twose Flail Hedge Cutter - previous attempts proved too flexible - (This is a very heavy beast). To this end I've decided to mount the flail directly off the back axle as originally designed - except the previous owner chopped the mounts off and welded on a 'three point mount'

I've managed to get a pair of the original axle brackets, and a set of 'Jawmount' brackets off a different make of flail (Bomford) however one of the axle brackets has obviously had a chain or something rubbing against it for years and had a notch worn into it. Probably not affecting the strength one iota but best to sort it. They are destined to be sand blasted and painted before fitting and I thought it best to weld up the notch before blasting to give the new paint a decent key on what otherwise would be shiny ground back weld.

(The bracket is about 10" high and has a 1.5" pin)

Here is the bracket:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:44:16 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Gluing Metal Back On !!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 05:29:30 AM »
So first of all clean up the area around the damage to give a rust free surface to weld to:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 05:35:26 AM »
Then I attacked it with my "Massive Mig" welder the Butters AMT3205. Mending things like this with a small MIG runs the risk of not getting sufficient penetration. No such issue with this beast - it will (and I have) burn holes though 8 mm plate if you are not careful. It takes 1.0 and 1.2 mm wire. For this job I used 1.0 mm at 120 amps and pure argon as a shielding gas. Why pure argon? Well it only needs to be Argon/CO2 mix but I rent a pure argon cylinder for my TIG welder so also use it on the MIG - slightly more expensive but not as bad as the rental on two cylinders
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
I was quite pleased with the result, which frankly was only needed for cosmetic reasons. But mounting the brackets on the tractor is not a 5 minute job (various other things like sway chain brackets and cab mounting brackets use the same fixings) so I wanted it sorted once and for all.

Here is the result:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 05:41:24 AM »
Next job when the brackets are painted and mounted is to carefully measure up to work out how I can glue the Bomford Jawmounts onto the Twose flail.

Here is the Axle Bracket and Jawmount:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:45:07 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 05:48:45 AM »
Here is a picture of a Bomford flail (not mine sadly) contrasted with my Twose onto which I want to weld the Jawmounts. Can't start until the axle brackets are fitted as it is pretty well impossible to measure exactly how far apart they will end up
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:45:40 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »
Nice job Andrew. Now I can see what you're talking about with those flail photos. Those are serious weights to extend off the side of a tractor -- it has to be rough on the mounts. Do you use any ballast off the other side of the tractor? I've noticed the road crews around here do when clearing roadside brush.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll do a good job of it. Definitely another mad modder project, combining parts from different flails!
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »
Steve,

The flail extends to the left, so the hydraulic oil tank in more to the right, and conventionally the right hand wheels have cast iron weight attached. Some also fill the right hand tyre with calcium chloride solution as ballast - I don't like that idea as it's a b****r to get out again
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 12:59:41 AM »
Yes and it rusts the heck out of the rims after leaking out of the tire stem. Will be watching progress!  :coffee:
Steve

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:56:50 AM »
Finally got round to grit blasting the brackets and giving them a coat of Ford Blue paint - they almost look smart!

I've used a new (to me) paint system for this. It claims to have anti-corrosive properties and work as a single coat system for structural steel work and the like. Sounds too good to be true so it'll be interesting to see how it lasts, but I've actually been giving things two coats, mainly as with difficult shapes like these it's very hard to be certain everything is covered adequately with a single coat. Certainly it sprays nicely and dries quite fast (its got Xylene as a solvent)

http://www.protegacoatings.com/docs/ProtegaLacOCF90.pdf

Great fun blasting. The 'dead man's handle' control valve stuck in the 'on' position. Had to dismantle it, and found a tiny bit of grit had galled the control piston and cylinder which had jammed. Both aluminium, with 'O' rings as seals. Reamed out the bore and smoothed out the piston, and all was well on re-assembly, but it did mean only the brackets got done that session. Theoretically no grit should be anywhere in the control air system, but it's easy to see how these things happen when grit is going everywhere.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 11:20:23 AM »
Fixing tools is the real job or hobby. Everything else is just evidence of that!  :lol:

They look real nice btw...
Steve