Author Topic: Huon Burl Pens  (Read 6682 times)

Offline Ginger Nut

Huon Burl Pens
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:54:42 AM »
I was given the Huon Burl and told go create. The wood is top end from the bottom end of Australia Tasmanian Huon Pine burl.

A Fountain pen and a Roller Ball

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Huon Burl Pens
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 03:12:20 AM »
Great use of this special wood from the Huon Valley Tas. To my knowledge Huon Pine cannot be cut anymore but collected from natural fallen trees washed down the river etc. Even then you may need a special permit. From memory it is extremely slow growing.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline texta

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »
very very nice,, huon pine "birds eye" i have made a few pens from that stuff . very nice to work with , i have some left which i treasure and use very sparingly . pens made from that are the kind of pens i normally charge a bit more for because its not that easy to come by and never cheap so i figure that makes the pen worth more , plus i mostly only use it on the up market type kits to do it justice .

johno

Offline ddoyle

• If it aint broke.....It will be!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
VERY VERY nice....love that wood....wish it were available, I wouldn't mind making a pen for myself with that wood.  What kits are those and where did you purchase them???

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:48:23 AM »
Great use of this special wood from the Huon Valley Tas. To my knowledge Huon Pine cannot be cut anymore but collected from natural fallen trees washed down the river etc. Even then you may need a special permit. From memory it is extremely slow growing.
John B

John partly right.  Tree which were felled many moons ago lay at the bottom of the river due to rafts or logging gone wrong other which as you say have fallen of their own accord. These are the only ones allowed and yes special permits to retrieve mill and sell that stock. www.tassietimbers.com.au will give you much more info or just google.

I have a far stash of turning blanks for pens, bowls and slabs of small size to make boxes. the scent of Huon being worked is like no other wood I try turn it often as I get more hugs of LOML  :)

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 07:50:16 AM »
VERY VERY nice....love that wood....wish it were available, I wouldn't mind making a pen for myself with that wood.  What kits are those and where did you purchase them???

The timber is sold see the link above in reply to John.  Kit is from www.timberbits.com.au he also sells Huon blanks.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:54:23 AM »
very very nice,, huon pine "birds eye" i have made a few pens from that stuff . very nice to work with , i have some left which i treasure and use very sparingly . pens made from that are the kind of pens i normally charge a bit more for because its not that easy to come by and never cheap so i figure that makes the pen worth more , plus i mostly only use it on the up market type kits to do it justice .

johno

Johno I also treasure all Huon birdseye burl or just plain and it can come very plain indeed. These blanks were given to me by a mate. We are fortunate to have such a timber to tease OS turners with we get teased back with such burls of Oak, Yew and much more.

IF this one does get sold your right it shall be at a higher price than normal for this kit.

I have taken better photos to show the true quality of timber and kit these are on our blog with further details http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/huon-pine-burl-pristina-fountain-pen.html