Author Topic: electric bike  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Pete49

electric bike
« on: July 09, 2014, 12:09:44 AM »
Watching the electric bike thread reminded me of this video from a couple NZ guys. I reckon that would be the way to go :D. Looks like old is new again in some ways. check it out here

http://www.yikebike.com/design/video-gallery/yikebike-discovery-channel

Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: electric bike
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:44:45 PM »
That's a novel design! Folds up nice and compact, and has a big wheel so cracks in the pavement don't murder you. I've seen a few similar things that looked pretty damn ridiculous (like this stupid thing. The highlight is at 2m11s when they describe it as 'built from recyclable aluminium, the same way Apple laptops are made' which says it all. I must've laughed for a whole minute at that).

Still not sure about the handlebar placement though. The nice thing about bike handlebars is that they support your weight so you're not constantly working to keep yourself upright and balanced.

One problem with this kind of thing in the UK though is that electric vehicles are pretty limited by law. Even the famous Segways are illegal!

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:33:07 PM »
I still like the Ryno's but if you did hit anything it would be a hell of a faceplant!

Offline Pete49

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:54:46 PM »
I tend to agree re the handlebars but I could live with it if I had one  :drool:. Seems the laws are about the same here though they are allowing the Segway for tour operators in some places like Canberra but not for the general populace. Electric bikes seem to be ok and used a bit but ic motorised versions are a problem in places. I had 2 which I built using chinese motors and now they are in a grey area here in Sth Aus but ok in some other states. It seems that governments don't want us to reduce our carbon footprint as it costs them money from fuel taxes.  :bang:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
It would be froward thinking if electric bikes were encouraged rather than discouraged.

In some more modernized supermarkets down south it's possible to get run down in the aisles by ambulatory shoppers in electric carts. And where would golf be today without golf carts. Marinas use golf carts. The subways and tubes are electric. All acceptable risks. In fact riding a conventional bicycle in truck traffic without a license or inspection is perfectly legal in most places here. There is little consistency.

I'm sure things will change, as they once must have to permit gasoline powered automobiles on the roads once traveled by horses. It's just that rules tend to follow developments very slowly. on there own. Sometimes letters to your local representative can have surprisingly good results in speeding things up. Particularly when what is said makes sense and is positively presented. I don't mean to be political here, just that people are more effective than they often realize is possible.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg