Author Topic: Couple more pens I made w/question about the wood...  (Read 3982 times)

Offline ddoyle

• If it aint broke.....It will be!!!!
Couple more pens I made w/question about the wood...
« on: July 13, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
Hey guys, here are two Big Ben pen kits, one is Chrome with Wild Watermelon Acrylic, the other is Antique Brass...and wood from a pretty good size chunk of wood I got from a friends burn pile lol.  I'm not sure if it's a burl or just a knot or junction where several limbs met, but the grain is crazy in it and I think it makes a beautiful pen.  I got quite a few pen blanks from it, although some have the cracks that are probably too deep to seal with ca glue and may not be worth using. I'm not sure what type of wood it is and was hoping some of you more experienced wood turners could maybe give me some idea what it is.  I have been told by a couple people they think it is oak as it is very hard, solid wood.  The piece the pen is laying on is an offcut of the wood I'm using.  Thanks in advance for your help figuring this out.  And also...both top and bottom of this pen was cut from the same 5" long 1" square blank so you can see the difference in the wood in just a 5" long piece. :)