Author Topic: ALU saw mill ??  (Read 4874 times)

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
ALU saw mill ??
« on: July 15, 2014, 01:53:24 PM »
Here is my try for an ALU saw mill !  :doh: :doh:

Remember to translate with the combobox to the right just under the menu line !

http://kelds.weebly.com/afsluttede-projekter.html
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor

Offline Meldonmech

Re: ALU saw mill ??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
Hi Keld

Just seen your video on the machining of your aluminium bars, and you seem despondent, and believe it is not worth while. I cast my own bars then machine them on the vertical mill, using a round nose cutter in a fly cutter, using no cutting fluid. The bars up to 250mm are placed on parallels in a 150mm vice, and I achieve an excellent finish.
            I only use metal ingots that I have previously cast, that are free from any inclusions. The sand I use around the pattern is always new for approx. 10mm, then backed up with used sand. This gives a much better finish.  To avoid shrinkage I use a runner and riser one at the ends of the bar and a feeder channel. For longer bars I use an additional riser. a cup shaped reservoir, is made at the top of the runner and risers, to ensure there is no shrinkage.
           Somewhere along the line you have problems that are solvable. If you need any help please ask.

Cheers  David

Offline ksor

• Turn off the TV - life ain't replayed !
    • Keld's hjemmeside
Re: ALU saw mill ??
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 01:24:01 PM »
Hi Keld

Just seen your video on the machining of your aluminium bars, and you seem despondent, and believe it is not worth while. I cast my own bars then machine them on the vertical mill, using a round nose cutter in a fly cutter, using no cutting fluid. The bars up to 250mm are placed on parallels in a 150mm vice, and I achieve an excellent finish.
            I only use metal ingots that I have previously cast, that are free from any inclusions. The sand I use around the pattern is always new for approx. 10mm, then backed up with used sand. This gives a much better finish.  To avoid shrinkage I use a runner and riser one at the ends of the bar and a feeder channel. For longer bars I use an additional riser. a cup shaped reservoir, is made at the top of the runner and risers, to ensure there is no shrinkage.
           Somewhere along the line you have problems that are solvable. If you need any help please ask.

Cheers  David

Hi David !

I'm aware of what you say and from my side this was ONLY an experiment to see IF the ingots - rough, no fluz, no degassing used, made in some rusty U-profile iron without runner and riser - could be used as source for a "quich&dirty" rectangular/Square beam or rod - and I think it's useable, but I used the wrong tools, so if took too much time - that's all.
Best regards
KSor, Denmark
Skype name: keldsor