Author Topic: Attacking the 4x6 bandsaw  (Read 44037 times)

Offline Manxmodder

Re: Attacking the 4x6 bandsaw
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »
Rod, that looks similar to the Axminster bandsaw that I have. Yours seems to have some better design features than mine and the castings on yours look real tidy,what brand is it?....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 04:45:22 AM »
Rod, that looks similar to the Axminster bandsaw that I have. Yours seems to have some better design features than mine and the castings on yours look real tidy,what brand is it?....OZ.

I'm down under so got it from here http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B003

The casting has provision for  a hydraulic cylinder and I have seen one similar with the cylinder and was tempted to buy one as a spare part to see if I could fit it. That saw was nowhere as nice as mine though!

It actually has the same throrat as this one But I did not have the room for it.
http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/B006
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Some interesting mods here thanks gents.

The PDF will be of great help.  :thumbup:

One thing I have found is each new blade needs re-tracking this depends mainly on who has made it. One blade I got made just would not stay on no matter what, when I returned it seems who had welded it together had not cut the butt join well allowing a twisting effect.

My 4x6 is 3rd hand and quite and old one. the slots still had very rough casting dags which I had to clean off to allow movement of bolt shafts. It was obviously a factory used machine where no care or maintenance had been done.
I am still slowly improving things.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 03:01:04 AM »

Reading the earlier comments and wondering if I can improve on the 'Happy Wanderer'

Regards

Norman

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »
Right.

I have a wanderer that looks much like Rod's minus mitres.

I did managed to adjust it, it's not complete, but now it is cutting fairly straigh.

1) My saw does to have a cant adjustment for idler wheel, it is a little angles and back from driver wheel. Driver wheel was a little loose. It has key/stop screw and retaing ring.
2) I adjusted quide that supports the blade from the back, until they lined up with wheels.
3) Then I checked that the part support is lined up with pivot shaft and blade is lined up square to them.
4) Spent some time trying to adjust  guide rollers straight to the table. Pretty hopeless with a ruler or such nipped between rollers. I assumed that the guide roll holder milled surfaces are square and I put try square on top of it and another resting on the table. It was pretty easy to sight them and adjust guides straigh then.

Now it cuts pretty straight.

But quide rollers (ball bearings) are worn, and ideler wheel bushing/shaft is worn. These parts will need attention eventtually.

Pekka

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2018, 09:33:10 PM »
Restored my photos after Photobucket broke the links.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg