Author Topic: Ride on mower repairs  (Read 8776 times)

Offline micktoon

Ride on mower repairs
« on: July 19, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
 Hi All , I have been fixing a 1980's ride on mower for an old lady I know who still uses this mower to do her lawns at the age of 83. The first problem was a rattle which turned out to be a bearing on the cutter deck blade. When I went to do the deck the front wheel was also leaning right out as she had clipped a tree stump and the box section axle has split, I then noticed that the other front wheel was wobbling all over the place once it was off the ground. So the offending bits were stripped off which left the mower half stripped as one bolt that had to come out up over to get the axle off needed the whole front engine cover grill etc to be removed then the engine itself to be loosened to raise it to get this one bolt out.
  Anyway these are the bits, the axle is thin box section welded in places and had just spilt, letting the wheel flop all over.

This is the damaged side that has spit.

I then noticed the other side looked different , it looked as if its been repaired in the past for the same problem. It had been plated up to make it stronger.

I hammered the distorted area back into shape around a bit of scrap box section.

Welded up the splits , then tacked some more heavy plate around the area.

Welded up these new plates, it will not be this are that bends next time !

The wheel that was very slack on the shaft was caused due to the bronze bush being worn away to the point of falling to bits.

I had some bushes the right outside diameter but too small inside  so bored them out to match the axle on the little Chester DB8 lathe, this fixed the wheel, the other one was fine so may have been replace at some time ?

Right thats the bit that had nothing wrong with it last time I saw the mower fixed now for the main job. The cutter deck has rusted through in a few places and been bodged before badly as usual, then the bearings in the shafts for the blade also eeded replacing on bpth sides.

This is the state of the tinwork and previous repairs.

This is what was left of the bearings on one side and the other was not far off this but still in oe bit. I was surprised but nothing was too seized so they replaced ok. I have just ground off all the nuts and bolts as they were rusted beyond ever coming back off and are just M8 bolts.

The plan with the cutter deck tinwork is to make do with what steel I have lying about, I have made cardboard patters and will do it in several sections from the outside so it looks decent once done, I have cut the cardboard templates out here and will then fit steel sections inbetween the central gaps then weld a strip around the whole thing like a skirt once this top section is on.

This is the cardboard templates , its worth spending a bit of time and getting these right as its easier than messing about altering the steel a few times.

Spot the difference, this is the same two sections in steel , its about 2mm thick so will be good to weld the skirt on to.

This is as far as I have got up to now so still plenty to do .
 Cheers Mick.

Offline Ginger Nut

Re: Ride on mower repairs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »
Mick are there lawns big enough still there to warrant a ride on  :lol:

Well done on the repairs

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »
Hey at 84 a lady deserves a riding mower!

Good on you Mick for helping her, and a very thorough job you're doing.  :clap:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »
Mick are there lawns big enough still there to warrant a ride on  :lol:

Well done on the repairs

If at the young age of 83 the lady wants to mow her lawn then she deserves all the help we can give her.

Mick, thanks for doing such a great job of getting her mower mobile for her again. I am sure that it will be a better mower than the new models.

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:08:10 PM »
Hi
Mick
You certainly find all the good jobs
Nice that you are able to help her out :thumbup:  :bugeye: :bugeye:
John

Offline micktoon

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »
Evening Lads, well I did not get too much chance to do much today but made a little progress, I got the rest of the bits of steel cut out and trimmed to be a good fit then ground off the paint where the welding needs to be and cut out the rotted bits of the old deck.

I have a strip of 3 inch wide steel just long enough to do the skirt but will have to cut off the horrible previous repair around the front for it to fit snug, I then plan to weld a bit of round bar around the bottom of the skirt to strengthen it up a bit. I think she will be chuffed to bits with it as she does not know its getting the full works on the deck, just thinks its getting some patches riveted on. Its nice to be able to help someone that age out , I know if a mower place saw it they would write it off to sell a newer one and that would probably be more fragile and less repairable than this one.  This one does a good job it just needs a bit of TLC lol.

P.S  if anyone is wondering , how many grinders do you need to repair a mower .............. at £10 each from boot sales , I have one for every type of grinding disc lol.

Cheers Mick.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 06:08:23 PM »
Yes Mick, my welding bench has numerous grinders for the same reason. No need to faff about changing  disks.

You do realise that with all that reinforcement next time she'll knock the tree over!

You are doing a splendid job. She will be very pleased.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »
Looking good Mick
 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »
well i hope you is fetching it to mine so you can test it out

Offline micktoon

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
Bob if you promise to drive it down the A1 I will get you a lend of it lol. I have been on all day again today and got it all welded up , just needs painting now, I will post photos tomorrow as too late to post tonight.

Cheers Mick.

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »
Mick its going to be almost new when done.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Offline micktoon

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
Hi Lads,
             I am glad to report the mower is all done and been tested and is now nice and quiet steers better and cuts nice, not to mention the owner being very happy with her 'new' mower, I tested it to make sure all was well but she is now itching for the grass to grown even a touch so its a good enough excuse to get her revamped mower out lol.
  Here is the rest of the job.

First all the top plates were tacked in place.

Then a new skirt , clamped and tacked into position .

Due to the old repair having a bar welded along the front with too much old snotty weld to grind off there ended up a section to be patched with a strip as the old skirt was about half an inch deeper than the new strip of metal I had to hand so this front area was patched in to replace the cut out section. The underside where the rot had been cut out was tacked to the new top and the areas filled with car body filler to seal them so grass would not pack between the two layers of plate.

The tacked seam between the top plates and the skirt was welded leaving alternate gaps then worked back around filling in the gaps to try to stop too much distorsion, this seemed to work as the whole thing stayed nice and flat to the floor.

Next I marked around the skirt with chalk on the floor and made a new bar to beef up the bottom of the skirt. I only has some 14mm black bar but in three short bits so by trial and error bent these bits in the vice to follow the chalk line then welded them together. Then welded them to the bottom of the new skirt.

The underside was undersealed then the blades , pulleys etc all built back up and the top side seam sealered around the welded areas.

One last hitch I noticed just in time to alter before painting , the return spring for the deck lowering lever was not a very good design so I managed to find a better spring in my scrap box and welded a strong washer for it to hook on to, this was a better spring and more secure way of fixing it than the original.

Next a coat of etch primer.

Then a few coats of a very dark grey satin finish that matched the rest of the dark bits on the tractor as I had no orange paint and would not have got a match for the original anyway as faded with age. The grey was darker than it looks here , it was hot sunny day so baked it dry in no time.

This it the finished job all back together, looking quite smart if I say so myself.

It should last a good few more years now and continue to give good service, my old friend is delighted , was nice to see her face when she saw it was not just a few horrible patches clagged on with sealer and snot weld like the last time the lawn mower dealer 'fixed' it lol.

Cheers Mick

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 08:01:51 PM »
way to go! first rate job!

Offline Ginger Nut

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »
 :clap: :mmr:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
I've got an old Bolens mower that I don't use and whose deck needs similar treatment, so this is a great thread for me. Fine job of it, Mick! :bow: :bow:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »
Super job there Mick.

When all her friends and neighbours see that you are going to have a line up at your door wanting their lawnmores rebufilt.  :D :D :) :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 02:30:10 AM »
Mick
Excellent job

As it happens I have an almost identical Westwood ride on that I use for the bits where I cannot get the main tractor such as under the fruit trees.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex