Author Topic: Square angle block  (Read 4223 times)

Offline chipenter

Square angle block
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:21:49 AM »
I have had this cast iron block for a while , 5" x 51\4"x4" scimmed some of the rust off cut a few slots on the bottom and two sides to match my mill table , what to do on the remaining two sides to get the most use , I have an idea of a ring of 24 6mm holes to give me 30 45 and 60 degrees ,the fly in the ointment is the web in the centre but what else to do ?
Jeff

Offline mattinker

Re: Square angle block
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
What about wait and see what your needs are ! No reason to drill holes in it before you have to!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:02:18 PM »
Jeff,

If I am understanding correctly, you want to provide angle bars to allow you to locate parts at some angle other than square to your table & head.  Is that correct?

If so, why not make it a bit more universal?  A set of angle plates that are (say) 6 inches on the base ought to be of more use to you around your shop.  The attached Angle_Plate_Doc.pdf shows the approach I often use around my shop.  This way, should you need (say) a 33.7° index, you could add one to your set.  A 6 inches for your 5 inch tombstone block, a dowel pin slip-fit through the "tall end" .3755 inches in gives you an automatic index for the plate.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
I have a six inch angle plate and the slots match the block , this block has been kicking about my shed for a few years it is about time I got some use from it , will make a fixture for angles do I drill and tap the last side like a giant Stevenson block ? any sugestions ?
Jeff