Author Topic: Threading trapezoidal thread with ER16 insert?  (Read 3215 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Threading trapezoidal thread with ER16 insert?
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »
I need some basic information or push to the right direction.

I got some 2 mm pitch ER16 trapetzoidal thread form inserts and SER/SIR tool holders for them.

Now. Before I chuck a piece of steel, rush to the job and bollock it all up, I would like to know few things.

A) I got 16ER/NR in one box. How do I tell these apart?
I got these:
1) 16ER 2.0 TR T300 External Threading Insert General Use
2) 16NR 2.0 TR T300 Internal Threading Insert General Use
3) 16ER 3.0 TR T300 External Threading Insert General Use

B) How to set SER1616H16
http://www.shop-apt.co.uk/ser-external-threading-tools-apt/ser-1616-h16-external-threading-tool.html

This has a spacer(?) under insert (probably for helix angle) and a mysterious screw. What is the purpose of this screw and how to set it?

What is the correct name for this "spacer" under the threading inserts, might be easier to find if I ever need some different ones.

C) Are clearances on these ones such that I can thread LH/RH threads without any spacers/adjustment?

These inserts are not exactly as cheap as soap, I'd like to know a little before I rush.

Pekka

lordedmond

Re: Threading trapezoidal thread with ER16 insert?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:28 PM »
Pekka.

My first port of call would be APT they are very good with these type of problems

Stuart

Edited for stupid spelling my dyslectic brain is going though a bad spell sorry
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:00:49 AM by Stuart »

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Threading trapezoidal thread with ER16 insert?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:08 AM »
Thanks,

I wanted to know what to ask before bugging someone with elementary questions. I got here:
https://www.secotools.com/CorpWeb/Downloads/seconews2_2011/MN/threading/GB_LR_Threading.pdf

Pretty interesting.
p 9 describes which tool to choose based on direction of threading. Towards/away from the chuck.
p. 17 has anvil selection chart. This cleared a lot of things.

The word for a "spacer" under the insert is "anvil". Sort of makes sense, but does not translate intuitively.

Pekka