Author Topic: Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock  (Read 112262 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

Re: Side Valve i.c. engine from Bar stock
« Reply #225 on: October 22, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
Liar Liar--Pants on fire---I said I wasn't going to post anymore but---I have never really liked the base I made for this engine. Oh, it was a lot better than the long angles that I had first proposed, but somehow it never looked--uhh---industrial enough for me. so--Today being free time, and having a bit of 3/4" aluminum left over, I made a new base. I like it much better.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #226 on: October 23, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »
As Bugs Bunny would have said----That's all folks. Thanks for following.---Brian

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:13:43 PM by dsquire »

Offline dawesy

« Reply #227 on: October 23, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
That's awesome. Runs really well. A credit to your skills :)
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #228 on: October 23, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
Thanks for showing thats a well thought out engine!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
It certainly is. "A great success"!  :thumbup:

Very well done, Brian.....  :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »
A real smooth runner Brian  :ddb:

Great job  :thumbup: :headbang:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »
Judging by the number of downloads I have had for the plans of this engine, someone, somewhere , is going to build it. I am going ahead with a gas tank bracket and gas tank for it, so will post them as "supplementary drawings" to the main download package. The bracket is located right in the center of the engine block, and the underside of the bracket is 1" below the top of the block. This will place the top of the tank about 1/8" below the center of the carburetor.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #232 on: October 28, 2014, 08:12:30 AM »
I spent all of yesterday fighting "gas tank wars". What should have been a very simple and straightforeward silver soldering job left me frustrated. All of the joints looked good, but when I put a rubber tube on the outlet spigot, then put the tank underwater and blew into the tube, I got a stream of bubbles coming out of the one end. I resoldered it twice, with the same result each time. Finally I set the whole tank up in the lathe and drilled/bored the leaking end completely away, made a new brass end  insert and silver soldered it again before I went to bed. As of right now it doesn't leak, as per the "blow test" but I haven't filed away the excess silver solder either. I am waiting for my wife to get up before I start any power equipment in my shop, but I sincerely hope that when I get my last solder joint "cosmeticized" that I don't see any more bubbles!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #233 on: October 28, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
I used a piece of my bronze stockpile to carve out a gas tank mount. I set it up to have a 1 1/4" i.d. and chose a 6" long 1" pipe nipple which has an o.d. of 1 5/16" to make the tank from. The pipe is galvanized, but that doesn't matter, because when I turn the o.d. down to 1 1/4", the galvanized will be all machined away. I also picked up a brass 1/2" pipe nipple to become the gas tank filler spout. I could have bought the 6" long pipe nipple in brass, but it would have cost $21 as opposed to the $3 I paid for the galvanized steel one.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #234 on: October 28, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
Here we are machining the o.d. of the pipe in my lathe, after cutting the threaded ends off. I don't like machining with something sticking out of the jaws that far, but the "thru the spindle" hole in my lathe is only 1 3/16" and the o.d. of the pipe was 1 5/16". So---Take light cuts and hold your breath a lot, being ready at all times to "Duck and cover". Once I got the o.d. turned to a finished diameter, I pulled out my seldom used steady rest and set it up to counterbore the ends of the pipe for brass end caps.
I used a piece of my bronze stockpile to carve out a gas tank mount. I set it up to have a 1 1/4" i.d. and chose a 6" long 1" pipe nipple which has an o.d. of 1 5/16" to make the tank from. The pipe is galvanized, but that doesn't matter, because when I turn the o.d. down to 1 1/4", the galvanized will be all machined away. I also picked up a brass 1/2" pipe nipple to become the gas tank filler spout. I could have bought the 6" long pipe nipple in brass, but it would have cost $21 as opposed to the $3 I paid for the galvanized steel one.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2014, 10:10:18 AM »
And finally, after an absolute bear of a time getting one of the soldered in ends to be leak-tight, we have a custom fitted gas tank.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
And finally, after an absolute bear of a time getting one of the soldered in ends to be leak-tight, we have a custom fitted gas tank.

And. Very good it looks too, Brian!  :thumbup:

Well done.....    :clap: :clap:

David D
David.

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #237 on: October 30, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »
I have been asked by a  machining magazine to present an article on this engine for publication. As a consequence of this, I have had to put together an "overview" drawing of the engine with the maximum envelope dimensions and information about bore, stroke, etcetera. This morning I took the time to add the gas tank and a couple of minor components that were not shown previously. The build of this engine is finished, but since I have never actually posted this final information, I am attaching it to the end of the build thread.---Brian

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #238 on: November 02, 2014, 08:34:56 AM »
Brian, the finished engine with all the ancillaries looks wonderful and is a credit to your skills and problem solving. I would also like to say a very big thanks to you for this very detailed and interesting documentary of the planning and building of this project. :bow: 

And thanks for making detailed plans freely available and hope you will share some future projects with us other madmodders........Cheers, OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
-I am going to have to find a different site to upload my drawings to --there is just too much horse #### involved with the site I am currently using. The reason I don't upload them here is that I post on four different machining/modelling sites, and I want the downloads to be available to all of them. I don't make any money from posting these plans, so I try to use free sites, but it seems to be becoming more and more difficult to find a free site that is not over-ran by spam-ware and misleading advertisements.---Brian
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:47:44 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
Hooray for my side!!! Just as I was about to go bonkers from terminal boredom, I got a call ten minutes ago for some design engineering work starting tomorrow. I have been thinking about using my new engine to run a lighting plant, using an old bicycle generator, the kind with the friction wheel that ran off the front or rear tire. Dearie me!!!---Time has moved on in the last 55 years since I had a bicycle. I went into 3 bike shops and Canadian tire asking about generators for bicycles, and they all looked at me as if I had two heads. Apparently now, if you want a light on your bicycle, you use batteries and LED's. I see many of these generators (also called dynamos) on ebay but I don't totally trust buying used electrical things from people I don't know in places I have never been to. I will pursue this a bit more though, because I would like to have my new engine power something.---Brian

Offline philf

« Reply #241 on: November 13, 2014, 11:54:52 AM »
 Hi Brian,

As you have found out LEDs have revolutionised bike lighting but there are still those who use dynamos. The tyre driven dynamo seems to have disappeared in favour of hub dynamos. I guess the hub type are designed to run at too slow a speed to drive from your engine without a wheel size pulley.

How about just using a permanent magnet motor as a generator.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline Brian Rupnow

« Reply #242 on: November 13, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »
A very kind gentleman from Michigan who built my Muley style Sawmill and exhibits it at shows around USA has just "volunteered" me a bicycle generator. It will be sent here by snail mail (I assume) and then we will go about building a "lighting plant" for my newest engine to run.---Brian

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2014, 03:14:33 PM »
Brian.
Back when I tinkered with motorcycles. A pal fitted a bicycle hub dynamo, onto the crankshaft of his trails bike. To provide, "bobby dodger" lighting. (ie. no battery)......

It worked!  :thumbup:

David D
David.