Author Topic: Lightning strike  (Read 3250 times)

Offline Scuba1

Lightning strike
« on: August 10, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
It got a bit loud yesterday when Tiki got struck by lightning and the VHF ariel came down in a shower of sparks. Lost the wave wifi, the inverter charger, the solar charge controller, and a few other bits. The weird thing is that the VHF seemed to have survived the strike. Don't know yet if the radar/ plotter still works. But the taktic instruments are dead as a dodo.
I have not gone through the boat with a fine tooth comb yet and will probably find more bits that are fried but am going to take my time wwith that and am just getting the basics back up and running for now. I do have a thick copper cable running through the mast to a large copper plate on the outside of the hull to lead strikes to ground / water. Never thought I would need it.
So earlier on today I needed fuel for the runabout and went over to the dock. Sorry sir, our fuel pump is down as we had a lightning strike yesterday was what they told me. welcome to the club I said.
So made it on fumes over to the work dock where I keep the car, slung a couple of 5 gal cans in the trunk and got fuel for the boat and genny.
Went to wally world to buy a charger that i can use for now to keep Tiki charged via the genny as the solar charge controller is fried and so is the inverter charger. Both beyond repair.

ATB

Michael
 :zap:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Lightning strike
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:43:03 PM »
That's too bad Michael, sorry to hear about your losses, but glad that you're ok :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Scuba1

Re: Lightning strike
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:30:23 PM »
The weird thing was, I was looking to the rear of the boat wand there was a 20 foot boat with 4 people on it, each holding a fishing rod. They hightailed it out of there only when the lightning struck my mast. I tried to get them on VHF before that to warn them but they had nothing in way of radio on board of not monitoring ch 16
Next storm is rolling in as I type now.

ATB

Michael