Author Topic: Where abouts can you buy cheap thin aluminium sheet?  (Read 18703 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Where abouts can you buy cheap thin aluminium sheet?
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
I need about 1000x1000mm of aluminium sheet, about 0.5mm thick-ish. Something I can roll into a cone to make one of those famous cyclone dust collectors with.

Went to Wickes today and didn't have any luck. The usual metal merchants I go to sell it for ~£40 for that amount, which seems like alot of money. In videos people seem to be using a sort with paint on one side, and one guy called it 'flashing'. The only aluminum flashing i've found is narrow stuff.

I could just go with plastic though, but i'd rather get something that holds its shape easier.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Where abouts can you buy cheap thin aluminium sheet?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 12:05:36 PM »
If you look on youtube there's a bloke who's made a cyclone dust separator using a large traffic cone.

May involve a bit of nefarious night time activity but there's the cone already made for you  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »
If you look on youtube there's a bloke who's made a cyclone dust separator using a large traffic cone.

May involve a bit of nefarious night time activity but there's the cone already made for you  :ddb:

Funnily enough, i'm copying that guy's second cyclone, since he lists the dimensions. http://woodgears.ca/reader/marius/dust_collector.html Although I'm using a bouncy castle blower I got at a boot sale.

I really want to build a gigantic dust collector and put a pipe in along the wall of the garage. I was using a small numatic vacuum cleaner for a while, but it's been overheating lately. It's also inadequate for drawing chips out of a planer/thicknesser I bought a while back (that's terrible! I'll probably have to fiddle with it a bit to get it working well). But most of all I just hated moving it about since it usually involved balancing it on top of the assorted rubble that accumulates on my bench tops.

Edit: Actually, looking at it. I guess that guy's traffic cone cyclone isn't THE traffic cone cyclone. What I find odd is all the videos on people making cyclones to hoop up in line with their big expensive industrial dust collectors. It seems kind of pointless if you've already got a working dust collector to add a second stage to it.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
Simon I also aspire to a central duct in my wood work shop and some time ago bought various shut off gates, and one of those superb floor openings that you sweep your shavings into.

I have three (!!!!!) suitable large bore extractors, one came with my woodturning lathe, one I bought for my rip saw / planer combination woodworker, and the third I got as it is wall mounting and I intended it as a central system to save floor space. However as usual other tasks took over, and I've plumbed the floor standing one directly to the Dominion Woodworker as I found I was using it 'just for little jobs' with no extraction and it was getting packed tight with dust.

The advantage of the cyclone it that most of the collected debris (some claim 98%) is dropped into the collector without clogging up a filter, hence the air flow remains high for much longer

I was planning to use 110 mm soil pipe as the spine with drops to each machine isolated by a shut off valve

Really I need to decide which extractor I'm going to use permanently and shove the other two on ebay to free up space in my storage container
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »

SNIP

Really I need to decide which extractor I'm going to use permanently and shove the other two on ebay to free up space in my storage container

Hi there, Andrew,

Did you receive eBay's revised Ts & Cs today? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »
Yes but I deleted them unread !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
I need about 1000x1000mm of aluminium sheet, about 0.5mm thick-ish. Something I can roll into a cone to make one of those famous cyclone dust collectors with.

Went to Wickes today and didn't have any luck. The usual metal merchants I go to sell it for ~£40 for that amount, which seems like alot of money. In videos people seem to be using a sort with paint on one side, and one guy called it 'flashing'. The only aluminum flashing i've found is narrow stuff.

I could just go with plastic though, but i'd rather get something that holds its shape easier.

Aluminium Warehouse charge some £14 odd for 1m x 1m x 0.9 mm + VAT and shipping [ lots of pennies  :hammer: ]

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/sheet_calc.php

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »
How about a scrap yard ?  A bit off an old caravan perhaps.

Dave.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

Aluminium Warehouse charge some £14 odd for 1m x 1m x 0.9 mm + VAT and shipping [ lots of pennies  :hammer: ]

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/sheet_calc.php

Dave

Seems like a good price, but might be a bit too thick to easily form. I'd want to get as smooth a cone as possible for a cyclone.

I might be wrong but i'm assuming that what makes 'real' aluminium sheet expensive is that it's relatively accurate. The stuff with paint on the side probably isn't, since it's just for rooves.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 04:00:01 PM »
How about a scrap yard ?  A bit off an old caravan perhaps.

Dave.

Don't know any friendly scrap merchants in the area, unfortunately.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 04:05:26 PM »
Lithographic printers use thin etched sheet alloy nowadays wrapped round drums - when they've finished their run the 'plates' are scrapped. They will have negatives of the print on one side but that doesn't matter for your purposes. News paper printers do the same.

Scan Yellow Pages, get on your bike (!), and chat up who ever you find in their loading bay, don't waste time at the front door!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
Yes but I deleted them unread !

As did I. What's the significance PeteW?

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »
Life would be easier if I had a car...

I think I might go with plastic. I kinda like the idea of making the cyclone clear so I could see into it (until it gets scratched up by the dust!). Another advantage would be be in able to just flex it into a smooth curve and not worry about kinking it. There's a plastic supplier in the Team Valley that i've been wanting to take a look at for a while. I might even be able to get the bus there, for a small fortune. And then experience the joy of wrestling a meter square of plastic back home on crowded public transport. My only worry with plastic is that it might not hold it's shape too well, and crumple inwards from the low pressure.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
The traffic cone chap on ebay is a different one to the one I found - it was far more crudely put together than the one you posted. However the point of this post is: he had to support the outside of the cone to prevent collapse with plywood. Traffic cones (or at least the few I have on the farm) are quite thick and heavy plastic
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 06:32:43 PM »
That sounds troublesome. I was hoping this'd be a quick project so I could move on to stuff I want to do, but I might be in it for the long haul. Nothing is ever simple!

Thinking about it though, I could probably make a bunch of MDF rings all from one disc, and use them to support the cone.

Not sure what plastic I should be asking for though. I know next to nothing about plastics. I suppose I could ask the people working at the plastic suppliers, even if i'd sound like an idiot saying 'hello, i'm looking for some stiff yet flexible clear plastic that isn't too expensive!'.

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
Stiff, clear and inexpensive ?? You'll have to wait until it's been invented ...  :thumbup:

Just how perfectly conical does this wotsit need to be ?

If you have accepted reinforcing rings out side the thing maybe consider making it from tapered strips ??

Mons Meg seemed to work OK as did Dulle Griet and a lot of other bangy things ...

PVC is cheap, easily bent/worked but none too transparent, and adhesive is cheap [ loads of PVC weld jollop knocking about ] and if you really need to see what's going on, stick an acrylic window in it. Nice curtains too if you want ...

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 08:29:10 PM »
Stiff, clear and inexpensive ?? You'll have to wait until it's been invented ...  :thumbup:

Just how perfectly conical does this wotsit need to be ?

If you have accepted reinforcing rings out side the thing maybe consider making it from tapered strips ??

Mons Meg seemed to work OK as did Dulle Griet and a lot of other bangy things ...

PVC is cheap, easily bent/worked but none too transparent, and adhesive is cheap [ loads of PVC weld jollop knocking about ] and if you really need to see what's going on, stick an acrylic window in it. Nice curtains too if you want ...

Dave

Alot of the first dust cyclones I ever saw were made from tapered wooden strips. It seems labor intensive though, i'd need to make some kind of tapering jig for the tablesaw most likely... I suppose they wouldn't have to be too accurate if I can plug the gaps with car body filler.

PVC though, I might go with that and use some hard see-through acrylic I already have for the very top of the thing, so I can still peep inside from above. I want to stick to just curling a bit of plastic up since it seems like the easiest thing to do. I might also buy a bit extra since it seems like i'm always needing stiff-but-flexible plastic sheet, and i'm running out of expensive A3 art portfolios to tear apart.

I did once see one cyclone made in a similar way to those cannons, where the guy had cut a whole bunkle of MDF rings. It seemed like the most difficult way you could possibly build a cone!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
What about galvanized steel at a sheet metal shop? Most cyclone collectors are made from that rather than aluminum.

I often use stovepipes for small quantities of sheet steel -- they often come dis-assembled in flat form. the seam can be locked together or unlocked. You can also put two together to make a wider piece, albeit wth a seam.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »
What about galvanized steel at a sheet metal shop? Most cyclone collectors are made from that rather than aluminum.

I often use stovepipes for small quantities of sheet steel -- they often come dis-assembled in flat form. the seam can be locked together or unlocked. You can also put two together to make a wider piece, albeit wth a seam.

I was hoping thin aluminium might be flexible enough that if bent into a cone and riveted in place, it'd form a relatively smooth cone by itself. In my experience even thin steel tends to not want to bend all at once, and getting a smooth cone by bending it bit by bit would be a hell of a job.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »
Simon, I've bent cones out of thin galvanized and it's quite easily flexible and stays at least as straight as aluminum.

I've even flame welded butt seams together of the non galvanized stuff into cones back in my pulsejet days. But pop rivets work fine.

I haven't experienced it denting when rolling into a cone by hand. You need the right gauge though -- somewhere between easy to dent and hard to roll -- but that's a pretty big range and common, since that's also the size needed for making ducting, and stovepipe, and , well, cyclones.

I bet if you visit a sheet metal/ductwork shop, and tell them you want to make it yourself just for the experience of it, they'll sell you the material, and give you helpful advice on rolling it.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
Bring your helmet along, and I'll bet they will start asking YOU for pointers in sheet metal work! :headbang:
Steve

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Don't think i'd have the guts to go to a shop and ask that! I might ask the guys across the street though, who repair old cars. They probably know a bit about working with thin steel, and i've been wanting an excuse to get nosy at their setup for a while.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
I went to the plastic shop and didn't like the look or price of the polycarbonate. The guy didn't think PVC would bend to 150mm easily. Polycarb bent easily but it looked like it'd be too floppy to hold its structure at the fat end of the cone.

It was only £20 for a sheet but at that price I think i'll order some aluminium instead.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 08:25:14 AM »

Simon, how about the sides of a domestic appliance, fridge, washing machine, cooker etc.  They are easily removable
bend nicely, and are already painted.

Cheers David

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »

Simon, how about the sides of a domestic appliance, fridge, washing machine, cooker etc.  They are easily removable
bend nicely, and are already painted.

Cheers David

Might not be big enough, but I could do it in two halves. We're about to get rid of a second fridge we don't really need so much, so I suppose I'll have a look at the sides. But in my experience they tend to stamp them to give them a bit of rigidity.