Gallery, Projects and General => Project Logs => Topic started by: MikeA on March 19, 2011, 07:54:15 PM

Title: Another Upshur Farm Engine
Post by: MikeA on March 19, 2011, 07:54:15 PM
Hello All,

I finished up my first engine, a Duclos Fire Eater, some time back and have been waffling on the next. Finally decided on the Upshur Farm Engine - only one at a time!

Been very slow going as it seems no matter what stock I have it's always the wrong size, so been ticking along very slowly. Made some decent progress today.

First photo is the parts (actually, I should say the 'good parts' - I've made a lot of 'spares' or perhaps 'test' pieces) I've finished. The interesting piece is the Al bar with the two bronze rings - that is later cut apart and is the basis for the two flywheels.

This was made by cutting the Al bar a few thou (~0.003") larger than the ID of the tin-bronze ring, then the bronze ring was heated to ~200 while the Al bar was frozen to ~18 - the combination of the bronze expanding and the Al shrinking gave me about 0.0015" or perhaps a bit more to fit them together. One does not have a lot of time to make adjustments once they are joined as the temps start equilibrating and it shrunk very tightly together.

Next photos show the flywheels being cut out and some sizing before doing the web profile. (Before anyone says I shouldn't part with the a center in the workpiece, let me state I did not part them off with the live center in place - the second photo just shows how I cut out the 'extra' Al. The two were parted normally after getting most of the waste removed.

Last photos show closeups of the bi-metal flywheel, I'm very pleased with the way it's coming along and think this will add to the appearance. Now I've got to get cracking on the other bits and bobs.

All the best,

Title: Re: Another Upshur Farm Engine
Post by: lordedmond on March 20, 2011, 05:24:51 AM

I make Loco's 5 inch g

I do know that most of the exhibition quality ones ( esp. if the have been made from original works drawings ) have another one in spares/test failed bit under the bench but that the bit you do not see . I knew a engine builder now past on who it was told that the one that ran and was seen there were four under the bench so to speak

so don't feel bad about a blip it could just turn out to be a design feature

Title: Re: Another Upshur Farm Engine
Post by: MikeA on March 20, 2011, 06:29:16 AM
Hello Kenneth and Stuart,

Oh, I'm sure everyone has the occasional mistake, especially one at my level of experience. Not a bad idea to make them Christmas tree ornaments!

I find each time I make a mistake or mess up in one way or another, it's part of the learning process and I'm amazed at how simple the second (or third!) one I make seems. Lots of fun anyway.


p.s. - I've adjusted the sizes of the photos to make them a bit more reasonable.