Author Topic: Laser welder  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Johnny Bravo

Laser welder
« on: December 05, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
Anybody got any first hand experience with laser welding?
Just bought a set up, would be interested in sharing setups for various materials.
Cheers
Johnny

Offline grinder

Re: Laser welder
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »
Hi Johnny
I have been in the laser industry for a number of years, and have done my share of laser welding (big industrial laser though).
What laser do you have, I'd be glad to share any tips I can.
Let me know the type of laser, and the output power. :coffee:
I feel like a 22-year old, but my wife won't let me have one.

Offline Johnny Bravo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:57 PM »
Thanks Grinder

It's a machine built in Italy but badge engineered for a couple of companies in the States. Called a combo 200, it's an open machine, Leica optics,but I have had the optional video camera fitted as well. It uses Nd YAG 1064mmx2. Rated average power 150w with a peak of 15kw.  Rated energy between
0,1 to 200 joules. Impulse time between 0,1 to 20 ms. Spot diameter between 0,6 to 2mm and frequency adjustable up to 40hz. It's got six different settings with regards to what waveform you use.

Going to be used for repairing damaged injection moulding tooling and restoration of old vehicle components. Have a couple of cast iron components that need cracks sorting out .Have had this done with good results by another company, just rather an expensive exercise...

Offline Johnny Bravo

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:13:42 PM »
Hope to get it unpacked next week. Want to make a cnc controlled table for it. Have most of that sorted,just need to get it all together...

Offline grinder

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
Hi Johnny,

It looks like you have a microwelder there. I did work on some of these systems many years ago, when I lived in England (I came to the US in 1980). These machines are used for welding small,
heat sensitive items. The ones I worked on were for medical implants and microelectronics. You have a pretty wide range of pulse widths and energy settings, so you should be able to do a lot with that. I don't know how big the items are you want to weld, but the range will be limited to fairly small stuff. A CNC controlled table will be great for multiple parts. Steel welds well with Nd:YAG but you will get some discoloration unless you use a shielding gas such as argon. When you set the system up, show us some pics.
All the best, and watch your eyes, you only get one set!

Offline grinder

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »
Hi Johnny,

I should have asked if the system came with safety glasses, 15kW of peak power is extremely bright, but you cannot see it, so always wear them!

Be safe.

Offline Johnny Bravo

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 01:40:45 PM »
It's mainly getting rid of cracks. Nothing really structural. Couple of bits are wear related. Main reason for it is, as you say heat related. Will be running argon gas. Fully understand the glasses thing,and yes, I have  a pair. Have had the optional camera fitted,so once it's set up cnc wise, I can watch it on the screen on the other side of the wall... :lol: