Author Topic: Flush to wall LCD TV mount  (Read 9595 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Flush to wall LCD TV mount
« on: June 18, 2011, 04:44:52 PM »
Hi Guys, I have a problem. We have just had our loft converted into a bedroom and the bed is going to go in the dormer with the bed head up against the window at the top. We watch quite a bit of TV in bed and so a TV is a must but we have literally nowhere to put one. The only place we can think of is in the dormer cheeks which to be honest, not trying to be flash, but would look quite modern and nice! The problem is, there is only 1 foot between the edge of the bed and dormer cheek and so the TV viewing angle will not be great. You`ll be looking down the bed with the TV on the wall at 90 deg to you. I  could of course put in on a bracker close to the dormer wall but this is going to take up a few inch of space which were are short of and not only that being so close to the TV in the bed, it`ll look ugly even just off the wall.

So my actual question is does anyone know of any TV brackets for a 22" TV which will both extend out a little and then tilt as well?

I`ve put it here on madmodder because I`m also interested to know if anyone has any ideas on how to make a bracket or if it is even possible.

I just thought about a simple 3 piece sheet steel concertina hinged together. The first piece screwed to the wall, the second piece free and the third bolted to the TV. When the TV is pulled the concertina unfolds and as long as the concertina is the correct way (I only need the TV to point in one direction, towards us sat at the window), the concertina will unfold, the second piece moving the TV out of the recess and the third piece allows us to tilt it towards us.  Making it is another question and I`m sure there is an issue with the idea.

Has anyone any thoughts?

Chris

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Flush to wall LCD TV mount
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »
If it's a flat screen with VESA mount, there are oodles of tilty, swivelly, rotatey brackets .... in fact, most do. Some have a arm thing with an 'elbow' joint ..

I got mine from CPC .. they've got lots , or did have.

Have a look at their site ..

BC

EDIT Oops sorry .. LCD   :doh: might just be a flat one ....  :scratch:
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 06:32:06 PM »
ive got one of these http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/Lava_mMotion_LA1010_Motorised_Swing_out_LCD_Plasma_Wall_Mount.html    http://www.rs100.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=563 

you can get them to take all sorts of tv's and the nice thing you fold them flat when the tv is off you can even make them open to a pre set when the tv is turned on they do some that can swing down from the ceiling ,then go backagain when turned off, ours has a 40" tv on it and folds to  3" off the wall. we had a hulking great 32" befor this is great as there is no stand.

Peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »
Strewth ... Chris ...

My telly was not much more than that !!

You could try a call to NASA ...

Now they're finishing with the Shuttles, maybe they have one of those posh robotic arms up for grabs ..

BC
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 06:57:21 PM »
Wot's wrong with a bungy strap from the rafters ?   :coffee:

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 07:15:32 PM »

Yes John but what about the TV    :lol: :lol:

:ddb: :ddb: Peter  :ddb: :ddb:
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 03:48:20 AM »
 a stand. Pete, yes a little pricey for me! It looks a great stand but I can`t afford that. The TV is only going to be 19" or 22" because we are so close to it and it is one of the thin LED screens, I think max thickness is 36mm so it is pretty light weight.

John & Pete yes, the bungy strap from the ceiling is an option but I think  I`m keeping that free and would rather put the TV on a bracket  :drool:

Offline kwackers

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:42:59 AM »
Projector in the headboard pointing at the ceiling, then you can just lie back and watch.

Of course when I was your age I'd better things to do in bed than watch the tele...

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 05:04:00 AM »
I think I did as well but it's been a long time and I can't remember..................

John S.
John Stevenson

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »
I`ve been married 3 years.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »
Got two of these Chris brand new damaged packaging
http://www.avf-nexus.com/en/products/flat-panel-tv-wall-mounts/NXL004

CPC are the older version.

Offline j45on

• My tiny workshop Location Ashford Kent
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
Build yourself one of these instead Chris   :D
&feature=related
Jason

Offline Jonny

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »
I can see that getting in his and hers way when having fun.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions. Jason, I have seen one of those on ebay - they look very cool but I think it was a "buy now" and close to a grand.

I went into Richer Sounds and purchased an LG 22LE3300 - 22" LED TV -  £180.    I`m blown away by it.. 36mm thick and only 4kg!! Scary stuff. I remember years ago getting rid of my grandparents Bang & Olufsen, took 3 of us to lift it!!! They also sold me a very thin bracket that folds up nice and thin.

I hammered the hole in the stud wall this evening :) very satisfying!

Offline kwackers

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 04:00:56 AM »
I love the fact TV's these days are advertised as "LED" when in fact they're the same LCD's that were in the old ones...

They never advertised the old ones as "Cold Cathode"! I suspect it's a marketing ploy based on OLED devices, I wonder how many people think that's what they're getting?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
So out of curiosity, why are some called LED and some advertised as LCD ? There must be a difference?  Also, all those advertised as LED are much much thinner and use lower voltage than any advertised as LCD.

Tbh, they are cheaper than they use to be so I don`t feel like I`ve paid more for an LED... I bought it because of size, weight and price...of course a few online reviews.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
Chris,

AFAIK,in many there's no real difference in the screen itself - they all use similar technology to turn the pixel-sized colour filters on&off.   As Kwackers said,  where the difference lies is in the backlight - older flat screen displays used varieties of fluorescent or 'cold cathode' tubes; whereas those being advertised as "LED" use LEDs to provide the backlighting which is then filtered by the LCD panel.....

Tis just marketing - "LED" is the cool new thing - strange then that I can remember the thrill of (after several attempts) getting a Sinclair "Black Watch" LED watch to finally work, back in about 1975 .. :scratch:

Dave