Author Topic: Walkman Cutter Grinder  (Read 20602 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Walkman Cutter Grinder
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »
This ones bin fermenting inmehed for quite some time I've bin gathering the bits over the last 12 months.

I'm not sure if its a true story but I guess most of you have heard the one about how Sony came up with the Walkman radio by putting together bits of existing technology, well what do you get if you have one of these.

p://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-ct1-compound-table-prod21825/

and one of these

and a Myford Virtical slide. you'll find one here toward the bottom

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2erdgtools%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=vertical%20slide&PN=MYFORD_LATHE_USERS_NEW1%2ehtml%23a007#a007

All bits than can be picked up cheap off flea bay

Bolt them together on a bit of Ally jig plate with other bits and bobs you can find around your shop.

And you've got a nice little cutter grinder.

I've got to wire it up yet, sort out the wheel direction, and make a wheel guard before I give it a whirl, I'll let you know how it performs.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
Re: Walkman Cutter Grinder
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:47 PM »
Stew,

That's ingenious. Who'd a thought of doing something like that. Very nice indeed.  :thumbup:  :clap:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
Nice one Stew  :thumbup: :dremel:

Great idea ,,,,,,Whats the compound slide  off ?

Rob
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 04:49:26 PM by Rob.Wilson »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Thanks Bernd/Rob

Its a compound slide from Axminster http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-ct1-compound-table-prod21825/  I got mine from Bluechip who put it on the corkboard. The grinder is just a cheapie from B and Q.

It'll be interesting to see how it performs, I need to get some wire and connectors to wire it up, I'm going to use the base and switch that came with the grinder, mounted on the jig plate.

I'm also thinking of adding a digital vernier to the Z axis to give fine control to depth of cut, I've also got some of those magnetic block things for holding DTI etc that I'm going to try and use as a small magnetic tables, its one of those job that opens up a lot of possabilities, its just a matter of trying them out and seeing what works.

I think I'll make the guard from a tin can, so going the supermarket tomorrow with my vernier to measure up some tins, I'm sure I'll get some odd looks measuring up tins, it helps to be talking to your self, that way people just leave you alone.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mumble mumble mumble mumble dagit dagit bugerit bugerit mumble mumble mumble.

Stew

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »
Hi Stew

You av the grey cell going now  :med: 

This is one to watch ,,,,, hope all goes  well at the shop tomorrow  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 05:36:14 PM »
If I don't post for a couple of weeks you'll know I've bin put away.

:ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

:nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks: :nrocks:

Stew

Baldrocker

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
True  :proj:
br

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »
Heya Stew... That is a great idea.

I have a suggestion... what about adding a power feed to X axis? That way you could get a nice slow grind?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
Heya Stew... That is a great idea.

I have a suggestion... what about adding a power feed to X axis? That way you could get a nice slow grind?

Eric

Now thats an  :headbang: Idea, you could use one of those power screwdrivers to drive it.

This just gets better.

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:36:00 AM »
Stew......

Sounds as though you`ll have to call it Topsy......  "I guess I just growed".......  :D

Nice thinking!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 01:55:13 PM »
Well did you fined a suitable can at the shop  and what was in it   :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 02:14:07 PM »
Rob

No luck at the supermarket although I was accosted by the shop idiot who thought I was after his Job.  :D

My grandsons baby milk comes in a nice tin that just may be OK.

I'm making some bushes so I can fit a cup wheel on the other end of the grinder.

I'll then strip it down and show some more pics of how I've modified the parts.

The column that supports the grinder came off a scrap bench projecting microscope that John gave me, I stripped it down and kept all the bits I thought may come in use full sometime, it would be a sinch for some one with casting facilities to make  ::)

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Thats not a bad idea I think they have some in the local £ shop I'll check it out tomorrow.

Stew

Baldrocker

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
Or try the local Op shop for a variety of sizes of cake tin.
br

Offline cidrontmg

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
Seems VERY interesting. I asked a while ago how people sharpen their milling cutters (http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3194.0), and got some suggestions. Notably from John Stevenson, and his "the El Stevo Tool and Cutter grinder MK0.5." This seems like another variant of the general theme  :)
I happen to have a Myford vertical slide that no longer has much use (none in fact) since I now have a milling machine. Similar bench grinders I have 2, and a number of stones for them, grey, green, cupped, diamond, etc. The only big item missing is the X-Y table, but it doesn“t seem overwhelmingly expensive. I also have the 5C collet indexing device as per John“s suggestion, and a number of collets. You bet I“ll be watching this with both eyes wide open   :thumbup:
Hoping for a phenomenal success!
Olli
Penafiel
Portugal

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 04:32:51 AM »
Thanks for you interest Lads.

Cid:- Like you I've bin thinking about this problem for quite some time keeping a look out for ideas I could use or adapt, When john posted the cross vice idea last year some time it fertilized my brain into thinking in that direction ( I'm sure the grumpy bugger won't mind  :D)

I'm thinking of using a 5C to ER32 adaptor with an index plate, but I've not thought it through completely yet, concentrating on getting the grinder going first.

This is a magnetic block I'm thinking of using for a base, the coolant type are the cheapest available, I need to strip it down to machine a flat face but can't work out how to get inside it, any of you guys know ?.

As a back issue this is how I got to where I'm.

Myford vertical slide

Stripped down and two flats and a centre bolting hole machine into the slide.

The left over swivelly bit I'll use as a universal tool grinder.

This is the casting I've used as a vertical mount for the motor it came of a projector thing John gave me I stripped it down and this became one of those:-"I'll keep it as it may be useful moments" that paid off, you could use a bit of channel iron.

This is the motor with the base striped off.

The spindles for these cheap Chines Grinders are not very good for mounting wheels even with washers the shoulder is just not wide enough to keep things square.

So I make a collar held on with a grub screw to give the wheel a nice wide flat shoulder.

This is it with an adaptor to mount a cup wheel. Its a bit of an issue with me that wheels are not supplied with cardboard washers always mount wheel with washers.

This is the plate used for mounting the motor to the slide.

And drilling and tapping the ally jig plate to mount the table and motor too, you could use a bit of wooden work top but a metal plate would be better.

The compound table has slots for bolting it down which is handy as you can move it in and out on the jig plate.

And this is it with a cup wheel.

I'm still very much feeling my way with this one, and I won't to get my boiler completed so I'll drop this and go onto the boiler when I get some copper for a new back head.

But as its generated so much interest I'll keep you up to date with progress as it happens.

Stew

Offline andyf

• In Memoriam
    • The Warco WM180 Lathe - Modifications
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 05:06:52 AM »
This is a magnetic block I'm thinking of using for a base, the coolant type are the cheapest available, I need to strip it down to machine a flat face but can't work out how to get inside it, any of you guys know ?.

Peel back the blue and white label from the black plastic slab it sits on, and all will be revealed.

Andy
Sale, Cheshire
I've cut the end off it twice, but it's still too short

Offline Davo J

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 05:51:58 AM »
Hi,
That project is coming along and looks good.
I don't recommend you take the mag base apart as it will loose it's magnetism (don't ask me how I know this). There are a few article's on line about them being dismantled and some have had success having them demagnetized with an old auto electricians magneto magnetizer.

Is there much play in the standard bearings? Or are you replacing them with something better?
Dave

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 05:55:07 AM »
Hi Stew

I see your making good use of the leftover bits to  :dremel: :thumbup:,,,,,,,,,, your sure giving me  :proj: as i have most of the stuff lying about the shop  ::)

Rob

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »
Thanks for the support and Info Chaps

Dave J

I'm going to try it with the standard bearings as fitted, not quite sure what type of ball bearing these cheep grinders are fitted with if at all. I made a grinding spindle when I built my tool post grinder, so I have the option of using that, if the grinder bearing are no good and can't be upgraded.

Stew

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »
Hey Stew I think you should rename the title to add the word "universal" because it sure looks like it.

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 04:08:01 PM »
Hey Stew I think you should rename the title to add the word "universal" because it sure looks like it.

Bernd

I am gonna build one this winter... will call it the "Stew Grinder" :)

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »
Thats not a bad idea I think they have some in the local £ shop I'll check it out tomorrow.

Stew
Hi Stew, when I need something odd like you're looking for, I tend to find things at the Salvation Army Store, or any of the same type institutions that most people go to buy clothes or used appliances cheap, and help the poor folks at the same time.  I just got a stainless steel stew pot to use for parkerizing, for three bucks, cause I'm too cheap to pay twenty at Walmart or the like.  It's always good to go into the grocery store with a set of calipers, and put them against cans and jars and the like, even just to watch the faces of the people who work there.  I've got a real nice vertical slide I have had no real use for, but it's going to get one of the "spare" grinders attached to it, and become a surface grinder, cutter grinder and will probably morph into other things when I need an odd job done, you should have posted this job about a month and a half ago, I needed the inspiration then, and had to get by on my own.  Thanks much, for a real eye opener, and for a good excuse to finally build the air spindle I've been meaning to make for grinding end mills for the last twenty years. :bow: :bow: :jaw: mad jack

Offline BobWarfield

• CNC Cookbook
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »
You fellas giving over those compound slides to yer grinders, have a heart. :hammer:

Poor old Cinderella Drill Press is off in the corner thinking if she only had a compound, she'd be just as good as that uppity girl the mill.

And here you go and give the compound to the grinder?!??

What's up with that?   :wack:

Cheers,

BW
Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:  http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html