Author Topic: Mounting solution (small ring & mill)  (Read 6299 times)

Offline rvt

Mounting solution (small ring & mill)
« on: July 31, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
I'm using a micro-mill, the table is around 200x90 (mm) with three grooves. I'm currently using a small claming kit. I'm drilling/countersinking/counterboring into small rings, generally 65mm in diameter (max) and down to 42mm minimum diameter. These are generally 4-8 holes, which need to be countersunk or counterbored. The rings are only 1-3.5 mm max in depth, usually, and they're almost always aluminium. In order to get things lined up correctly, it can take quite a while. I have to adjust the clamps and move things around each time usually.

If I have projects where I need to do over ten of these (as well as lots of other related work) it's just very time consuming, and I generally end up breaking it up (time wise) when I believe it could all be done in one go with the correct mounting.

I've thought about a rotary table & chuck, however, I do not believe I would be able to grip the rings well enough without warping them. What do you think?

I thought about a larger table, without a chuck, and just using clamps, but I just don't think that is possible.

Is there another solution that I've not thought of?

Thanks for any advise :)

Offline jim

Re: Mounting solution (small ring & mill)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
sounds like a rotary table with a chuck (soft jaws bored to the size you need) and a "bung" to go in the centre would work.

the bung will allow you to hold the ring firm without squashing it, its what we do all the time at work!
if i'd thought it through, i'd have never tried it

Offline rvt

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 01:42:25 PM »
Hi Jim, Thanks for your thoughts! Do you have any photos of this so I have a better idea of how I'd set it up myself?

Offline crabsign69

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:08:21 PM »
how about some pics of what it is your drilling ect would be nice so to see exactly what your trying to do.
please :thumbup:

Offline rvt

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
Okay, I will try, but I'm not working on anything right now so don't have anything to hand. It's pretty simple though, just a ring as described that needs to be clamped and unclamped all the time to move to the next drilling point. I will see what I can find tomorrow as an example :)

Offline Chazz

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
Check this out as to how to hold and drill several 'rings', hope this helps. http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=3429.0

Cheers,
Chazz
Craftex CT129N Mill & Craftex 9 x 20 CT039 Lathe

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »
This is about 65mm dia and 5mm thick about the size you're doing,

This sounds like a commercial production run.

For the thinner sizes you can fasten them to a wooden backing board using two way tape, plenty good enough for drilling.

I'll send you the bill for my consultancy fee. :)

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 01:37:21 AM »
If cost is more of an "item" than anything else, a pair of plates with a central pivot pin (shoulder screws work well) and appropriate alignment pin (dowel pins are what I use) clocked to your position makes a quick & dirty alternative that can be quite accurate.  If you have access to a lathe of appropriate size, you could turn your pivot plate with a shoulder to mount your rings.  If you have a DRO or Trav-A-Dial, it's even easier.

One of the "accessories" I make for my rotary table is keys that fit the t-slots on it.  If all I am doing is drilling/reaming (etc.) holes, I can mount keys is with (small) dowel pins and a screw to make a "T" on the plate, mount that on my rotary table, and spin as required.  The keys are just steel bar dressed to width with screw & dowel pin holes set at some convenient (and hard to forget) spacing.  For my (8" and 10") rotary tables, I use .400 centers for (2) ø.188 dowel pins and (1) hole for a #10-24 SHCS.  I can then cut them off (1.100 long) and have them "to hand" whenever I need them.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:12:55 AM »

Stew

Stew, that setup on an X2 only gives me about 1cm clearance!!  :(  Sorry  :offtopic:   Much to my frustration!

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 04:31:40 AM »
that set up on my X1 would give me -5cm :bang:  I bought a realy nice 4" Rotary Table with a Chuck and Backplate which a few traders where linking to the X1 unfortunatley all I  can use it for are very thin pieces that req small short drills using on it. :scratch:  http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Accessories

peter
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure